• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

satisfying your cravings

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
A few notes on what has been posted (which are a lot of great suggestions):
  • Pasta is easy to make. So if he decides on some pasta dishes, non-availability of commerical pasta shouldn't be an issue.
  • "carabeef burgers" will not sell because of the name. But "Buffalo burgers" will. It's all in the name.
  • Same with other beef dishes -- unless the taste of the water buffalo is vastly different from beef or Amerian buffalo, meatloaf and other beef dishes billed as "buffalo beef" would be accepted.
  • I think vegiburgers are unlikely to be appealling I'm sure the vegetarians will have much more options in India.
  • The lack of melting cheeses is an issue. Americans, in general, love their cheese! Researching ways to source cheeses may be worth his time.
  • French fries are a sure seller! And mashed potatoes with meatloaf, fried chicken, and other comfort foods is a must. Baked potatoes are also a nice, and popular, option.

• And I agree with Jeanne; this is a fun topic!

Bear Bibeault
    Sheriff
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Is there sweet corn? I know it's originally native to the Americas, but it may have spread that way? Sweet corn is a popular vegetable choice.

Enthuware Software Support
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Yes, sweet corn is available...it goes by the name American Corn

The reason I restricted meat to chicken is as follows -
    Cow beef is simply illegal.
    Buffalo beef is legal but still frowned upon by local population. In this region, there is a substantial population that avoids restaurants that serve any kind of meat. Alienating even more customers by serving carabeef is something he will have to think about.
    Goat meat is popular and is as accepted as chicken but not sure if goat meat can help with the american flavor.
    Never seen sheep/lamb/pork in the market. Don't know why. Though they are legal.

But great ideas, everyone! Can't thank enough

Paul Anilprem
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Bear Bibeault wrote:

• French fries are a sure seller!

• French fries are tricky. The kind I see in fast food chains are impossible to make in a simple restaurant. There is too much of chemicals and research involved to get that flavor and crispness. Just dicing potatoes like fries and frying them doesn't work. Some restaurants here do have such fries and they taste horrible.
    Potato wedges is probably doable.
    Mashed potatoes, baked potatoes can be done.

Bear Bibeault
    Sheriff
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Paul Anilprem wrote:

Bear Bibeault wrote:

• French fries are tricky. The kind I see in fast food chains are impossible to make in a simple restaurant. There is too much of chemicals and research involved to get that flavor and crispness.

None of that is necessary. Fries made using the double-cooking technique (par-fried, and then finish-fried) just need salt to be delicious.

Paul Anilprem
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Bear Bibeault wrote:

Paul Anilprem wrote:

Bear Bibeault wrote:

• French fries are tricky. The kind I see in fast food chains are impossible to make in a simple restaurant. There is too much of chemicals and research involved to get that flavor and crispness.

None of that is necessary. Fries made using the double-cooking technique (par-fried, and then finish-fried) just need salt to be delicious.

OK, I will check it out. Thank you!

author
    jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Paul Anilprem wrote:

Bear Bibeault wrote:

Paul Anilprem wrote:
    French fries are tricky. The kind I see in fast food chains are impossible to make in a simple restaurant. There is too much of chemicals and research involved to get that flavor and crispness.

OK, I will check it out. Thank you!

I believe most fast food chains also do the double frying technique -- except that the first frying is done at the factory, followed by flash freezing. This way, at the franchise/chain, only the second frying is needed.

IMO, the difficultly is the technique (timing) and the need to have two different fryers that have to be kept at different temperatures. The first is more of an issue at the fast food chain due to poor training and high turnover. The second, may be an issue for the restaurant -- doubling the cost and space needed to fry is not a good thing.

Henry

Bartender
    jQuery Netbeans IDE Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database Chrome Linux
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    My vote would be for fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and steamed veggies. However, making good fried chicken is an art. It's not something that's easy to whip up for the first time cook.

And iced tea, sweet or unsweetened, would be a welcome comfort drink.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic