• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Central repository in git

author
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have been playing around with git. One of the things I am trying to do right now is set up a central repository. I have seen various tutorials on the web for using gitosis and gitweb to set up a central git repository with HTTP read/browse access and ssh update access. But what I am wondering is if there is any way of getting update access via HTTP/HTTPS? So far I have not been able to find anything on that.

Additional ramblings that can be ignored:

Access via ssh is problematic - a snowball has a better chance in hell that what I would have convincing the corporate IT folks to open port 22 in the firewall. I recall ages ago that when I needed access to public CVS repository that corporate IT installed an extra PC outside the corporate firewall for me to use just for the CVS access. I was so happy when that repository moved to Subversion with HTTP/HTTPS access (and now I have seen posts where that team is looking at git. sigh).

As an aside, I set up a Mercurial central repo with HTTP/HTTPs access without too many problems (well, I was setting it up on Windows and following Linux instructions and getting weird errors whose googled suggested solutions were were "build Mercurial from source", but once I understood what Python was complaining about the solution was actually very simple).

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't know if this will help or not, but one of the advantages of git is that you can download to a local subversion repository and then sync that back up with git.

Whether or not the syncing process can be done in a manner that pleases your masters, I can't say.

Peter Johnson
author
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That was one of the options I was considering, but I would like to try a pure Git play. Also, I think that having a centralized repository such as Subversion in the mix reduces some of the benefits of using a distributed repository.

Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, the Subversion/Git pairing concept wasn't intended to supplant Git or the concept of a central repository. It was intended to allow people to keep a local repository for their own work independent of the repositories that other people might be using (especially if their Internet connections were sporadic). Then when you've got something worthy of a major commit, you push the Subversion back to the central Git repo.

Of course, if you're dealing with a large, unruly pack of relatively undisciplined maybe-committers, it also keeps clutter out of the central repo when people start something and then don't finish it. Linux Torvalds has problems beyond the worst nightmares of most of us.

Alas, poor Yorick, he knew this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic