• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

OCA SE 7 java exam - confusion, please help

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi guys.

Firstly, i'd like to introduce myself, I'm Pete from London (UK).

I joined this site as I really need your friendly advice (Ps - I have read the other posts)

1) I'm looking to take the OCA java SE 7 exam - 1Z0-803, are there any prerequisites? I'm NOT looking to become a programmer but need to understand the basics of OOP.
(This will help me at work when talking with developers).

The Oracle website states 'No prerequisites' are needed, however on another page they state "The OCA, Java SE 7 Programmer certification is designed for individuals who possess a strong foundation in the Java Programming language.

2) Is OCA SE 7 the entry level cert ?

3) I cant seem to find any training material - can anyone help?? there are a couple of books but are released later in the year. is epractize labs any good?
Are their any other books I can use? (e.g OCA se 6 etc).

4) I assume this exam can be taken at any Prometric test centre?

Many thanks guys,
Pete

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Oracle tests are now proctored by Pearson VUE.

You need to study real well for the updated OCAJP7 exam and should have at least six months of experience with working with the language.

This is the page you will want to keep an eye on for the primary answers to your questions: https://coderanch.com/how-to/java/OcajpFaq.

-- Robert

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Pete,
Welcome to CodeRanch!

Oracle is in the process of getting rid of the exam designed for people like you (who don't have a goal of being developers.) If you plan to take the exam before they get rid of the OCJA 6, you might consider taking that. The books have been out for a long time and it doesn't assume you've been a developer for months.

Robert James Liguori
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:Pete,
Welcome to CodeRanch!

Oracle is in the process of getting rid of the exam designed for people like you (who don't have a goal of being developers.) If you plan to take the exam before they get rid of the OCJA 6, you might consider taking that. The books have been out for a long time and it doesn't assume you've been a developer for months.

I couldn't of said it better myself... I think Cameron would ditto this as well.

MyExamCloud Software Support
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
1) I'm looking to take the OCA java SE 7 exam - 1Z0-803, are there any prerequisites?
No prerequisites for taking OCA java SE 7.

I'm NOT looking to become a programmer but need to understand the basics of OOP.
(This will help me at work when talking with developers).

The new exam requires programming knowledge. If you just want to test your OOP and basic knowledge about Java technologies you may consider SCJA 5/6 (older version of associate level exam).

The Oracle website states 'No prerequisites' are needed, however on another page they state "The OCA, Java SE 7 Programmer certification is designed for individuals who possess a strong foundation in the Java Programming language.

For OCA Java 7 there are no prerequisites.
For OCP Java 7, you need to OCA Java 7 certification.

2) Is OCA SE 7 the entry level cert ?
Yes it is entry level for Java SE 7 programmers.

3) I cant seem to find any training material - can anyone help?? there are a couple of books but are released later in the year. is epractize labs any good? Are their any other books I can use? (e.g OCA se 6 etc).
You can search

Read this https://coderanch.com/how-to/java/ScjaFaq for old OCA exam
Read this https://coderanch.com/how-to/java/OcajpFaq for new OCA exam

4) I assume this exam can be taken at any Prometric test centre?
You can contact any Oracle authorized pearson testing centers in your local area.

Whatever you say buddy! And I believe this tiny ad too:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic