• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Time estimation for OCAJP 7 preparation

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm trying to do some planning for the OCAJP 7 certification preparation, and for this I need an estimation of how long such preparation usually take on average. I realise that individual averages will significantly depend on the individual (in terms of technical aptitude, past experience, self-discipline and so forth), but I would be keen just to hear what this community thinks.

Currently I have estimated 320 man hours (two work months) to prepare for OCAJP 7. I have some experience in the .Net and Ruby stacks (and then of course HTML, CSS and JavaScript), but I would conservatively put my aggregated coding experience at one year. Is 320 man hours too much?

Thanks in advance.

Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
To be able to give a good estimation about time, you'll need to answer these 2 questions first:
  • How familiar are you with Java & its syntax?
  • How familiar are you with OO concepts like encapsulation, polymorphism, inheritance,...?

• Based on the info your provided I guess you might need 4-6 weeks, only dedicated to preparing for the certification, not combined with a daily job.

Emile Silvis
    Greenhorn
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

How familiar are you with Java & its syntax?

The only knowledge I have about Java and its syntax is from industry news and from reading the first three chapters of SCJA 6. I believe my basic understanding of the generic Java syntax is relatively adequate.

How familiar are you with OO concepts like encapsulation, polymorphism, inheritance,...?

OO formed part of my studies, so I am familiar with most OO concepts, and I know enough about OO in general to be resourceful if I don't understand something.

6 weeks equate to about 240 man hours, which is a bit better than my originally proposed 320.

Does anyone else have an opinion about the 240 man hours? Too much, too little?

MyExamCloud Software Support

Ranch Hand
    MySQL Database Clojure Java
    • Likes 1
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    It depends on your programming experience. If you already program with Java and are comfortable with its syntax and theory then the 240 hours is probably good. If you are learning to program to pass the test then 320 (or more) is more like it. You won't pass it unless you can look at code snippets and compile it in your head, or quickly on paper, and move on to the next question. Also, the concepts of encapsulation and polymorphism, as well as associations are embedded within the test. What that means is that you need to know these terms and these concepts because they will figure into the questions whether or not the test question directly asks you if you have an understanding of them. It is not an easy test for a novice programmer who is learning to code and is also under the gun to pass a certification test.

I started studying for the test about mid September, 2012 because it is a goal I set for myself at work and my employer is sponsoring me. There was pressure to take the exam at the end of 2012 so I could wrap up my 2012 goals. I had no illusion of passing the exam and made that clear but I took the test anyway and failed it. I studied hard for three months and put about 240 hours into my preparation.

I have the OCA Java SE7 Study Guide for 1Z0-803 by Finegan and Liqouri. I have read that book about three times, done all of the tests, and all but a few exercises. The mock test on the CD I scored a 91 on but that test is really for the concepts in the book and should not be used as a gauge for exam readiness. I personally think this book is vital to passing the exam. I also have Java: A Beginners Guide by Herbert Schildt. I use the Enthuware mock tests and it was my performance on these tests that told me I was not ready for the exam. These questions are tough, especially for a novice.

There is no substitution for programming and programming experience and that alone is what I think prepares one for this exam. I am planning to assess my readiness in 6 months and if I feel ready I'll do it. Having taken the test once has given me great insight, but even so, without that ability to compile that code in my head quickly and efficiently I know I can't pass this exam.

Good luck to you!

Greenhorn
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

koilraj abraham wrote:Please have a look at http://www.epractizelabs.com/certification-advisor/time-estimator.php?s=16

I clicked everywhere "no knowledge" and received at least 110 Hours. Is that enought? I only have SQL skills.

Thanks for using EPractize Labs Time Estimator for 1Z0-803 - Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 7 Programmer certification preparation.
    You require at least 110 Hours to prepare for your exam.

Roel De Nijs
    Sheriff
    Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Fazile Moser wrote:I clicked everywhere "no knowledge" and received at least 110 Hours. Is that enought?

If you have no experience with java nor with object oriented programming, I would think you need more time than the proposed time.

Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Roel De Nijs wrote:

Fazile Moser wrote:I clicked everywhere "no knowledge" and received at least 110 Hours. Is that enought?

If you have no experience with java nor with object oriented programming, I would think you need more time than the proposed time.

How much hours? Additional 40 hours?

Enthuware Software Support
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Emile Silvis wrote:I'm trying to do some planning for the OCAJP 7 certification preparation, and for this I need an estimation of how long such preparation usually take on average. I realise that individual averages will significantly depend on the individual (in terms of technical aptitude, past experience, self-discipline and so forth), but I would be keen just to hear what this community thinks.

Currently I have estimated 320 man hours (two work months) to prepare for OCAJP 7. I have some experience in the .Net and Ruby stacks (and then of course HTML, CSS and JavaScript), but I would conservatively put my aggregated coding experience at one year. Is 320 man hours too much?

Thanks in advance.

Every individual learns at a different pace but it seems like 320 hours is more than enough for you. Try out a few online mock tests before you start your preparation and see how you feel.

HTH,
    Paul.

Roel De Nijs
    Sheriff
    • Likes 1
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Stefan Feldmann wrote:

Roel De Nijs wrote:

How much hours? Additional 40 hours?

That's very hard to tell. Different people learn at a different pace.

The advice I always give: getting certified is not a race against time. Simply take your time to be well-prepared for the exam. The certification is more than just the title or the little paper. It's much more about learning new stuff, improving your knowledge/understanding, becoming a better programmer/developer,... The more time you'll invest, the more gain you'll get from your certification journey. Good luck!

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic