• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

OOP4 Lookup problems understanding nitpick on branching for Thing type

Ranch Hand
Tomcat Server Ubuntu Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
In OOP4 there are 3 different types of Things: Books, Videos, and Furniture. My nitpicker is saying that I don't need the IF sequence I wrote in the Lookup class to decide which object to call. But -- if each type of thing has different attributes and some Things have more attributes than others then some logic somewhere in the code has to know if the object the user selected is a video, book, or furniture. I understand the inheritance but I don't understand how Lookup can run without branching. I tried sending the user's choice to all objects and letting the object decide if the string belonged to the that type but that is still using switches based on type, it is just putting them in the subclasses instead of letting Lookup decide which object to call.

Hints appreciated.

Sheriff
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You have a serial number (id) which belongs to a certain subclass of Thing. Lookup by the serial number that you pass in ...
Subclasses are not switches. A switch was what you used in the 8th assignment (in basic Java). An if/than is not necessary as long as you have a way for the program to know which subclass you are asking for. Although conceptually you might visualize it as "branching", it isn't really. The key is that the subclass inherits some characteristic(s) of the superclass, in this case, a method.

Have you read this story about polymorphism?

margaret gillon
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

You have a serial number (id) which belongs to a certain subclass of Thing. Lookup by the serial number that you pass in ...

I do not know how much detail I can put in this without saying too much. I get a number from the user, I Lookup the serial number in the hashmap that the assignment says to create, the next character in the hashmap row I create defines the type of Thing. I use that character to tell me what is the appropriate subclass to call.

The confusing part is not the assignment but the nitpicker comments that told me NOT to have a statement that branched using the Thing type. This is part of the nitpick...

Let's use polymorphism so we don't need to be worrying about what type of object we have. If each object knows how to output its own description, we should be able to call some output method which will know how to output. Then we aren't messing with maps, checking types, looking up codes, anything.... the JVM takes care of keeping track of who's who and who does what.

Yes, I have read the ranch story about polymorphism. It's a good article. I have used subclasses in other languages for many years and I write class libraries. Just haven't done it in Java.

Thank you for replying!

village idiot
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

margaret gillon wrote:In OOP4 there are 3 different types of Things: Books, Videos, and Furniture. My nitpicker is saying that I don't need the IF sequence I wrote in the Lookup class to decide which object to call.

Hints appreciated.

Maybe your Lookup class should be calling something other than an object?

margaret gillon
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I haved load the hashmap with the keys and values, the values are objects. There are different kinds of objects in the hashmap values. I go to the main routine. In main I can get the hashmap value and the value is an object.

Here is where I am stuck..... How do I call one of that object's methods? As far as I can tell I cannot create a new object and load the hashmap object into it because I do not know what type of object the hashmap object is, I just know it's an object. Because there are multiple object types a call like the following cannot be done because the type of object is unknown
String(mystery object from hashmap) thingDesc = new hashmap.hashmap.get( serialNumber ).getDescription();

What is the syntax to access the object in the hashmap?

TIA

Carol Murphy
village idiot
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

margaret gillon wrote:I have referenced some other posts on Javaranch regarding this assignment and think I have a conceptual understanding of the fix but I don't know the syntax.

Here is where I am stuck..... How do I call that object's getDescription method ? As far as I can tell I cannot create a new object and load the hashmap object into it because I do not know what type of object the hashmap object is, I just know it's an object. Because there are multiple object types a call like the following cannot be done because the type of object is unknown
String(mystery object from hashmap) thingDesc = new hashmap.hashmap.get( serialNumber ).getDescription();

What is the syntax to access the object in the hashmap?

Syntax is not the issue here. Would inheritance and/or casting be useful in this situation? If you could find a way to call getDescription() on each object in your hashmap using Polymorphism, would you need to create a new hashmap? Try reading about Polymorphism again, and see if you can make the concept work for this situation. Think about solving your problem using inheritance.

TIA

margaret gillon
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

If you could find a way to call getDescription() on each object in your hashmap using Polymorphism, would you need to create a new hashmap? Try reading about Polymorphism again, and see if you can make the concept work for this situation. Think about solving your problem using inheritance.

If I could do this, then no I would not need a new hashmap, I would just read the value from the hashmap and output it. The issue I have been trying to resolve most of the weekend is that because the hashmap is static and the thing classes and subclasses are not static the hashmap will not accept being loaded with a call to any of the Thing objects.

margaret gillon
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have learned that as well as making the Thing classes static I have to make the class methods static as well and then the hashmap will load correctly. Now we'll see if I make it through the nitpick.

Bartender
Eclipse IDE Spring VI Editor Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you make the methods static, you don't have state. The point of the assignment is to have state.
You need to have instance methods in order to output the state of the object, not the state of all objects of that type.

Remember:
if you mark a field with static, it means ALL objects of the same type have the SAME state. so:

The reason the compiler says you can't access non-static fields from a static method is because static methods are on the class level.
The class has no idea if there's any objects of its type instantiated or what their state is.
Each instantiated object is in charge of knowing its own state.

That said, the reason you CAN access static fields/methods from nonstatic methods is because, well, that instantiated object is that class type, so he knows all the things his class knows.

Back to our example:

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic