• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

My Apple Watch (updated for Watch OS 2.0) (2nd Edition)

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Author/s    : Craig James Johnston
Publisher   : Que Publishing
Category   : Other
Review by : Jeanne Boyarsky
Rating        : 8 horseshoes

I don't have an Apple Watch. I expressed interest in another Que book and the publisher sent me a bunch of books in the same box. That said, I was curious; just didn't follow along with an actual Apple Watch.

First, I'm really impressed that the publisher put out two editions in six months. The book began by explaining what each button and feature on the watch does. The book was full of helpful tips.

The screenshots of both the watch and iPhone were very clear. As was the explanation about handoffs between the two. I also liked that the book covers what you can do with the watch when your phone isn't with you.

There were a couple of "bugs" in the book. Page 116 talks about what you can do with your iMac. This was obviously a typo for Mac and was correct when used a bit later. And page 20 and 34 both have a sidebar "What are complications" which are pretty much the same. But nothing that got in the way of readability or learning. I also would have liked chapter 1 to be split up until multiple chapters. At 80 pages, it is a third of the book!

This book was rich in information and easy to read. I got a good feel for how the watch works. And was reminded why I don't want a smart watch. But that's clearly not the books's fault. I didn't want one before I got the book. I did learn from the book and am happy about that. If you actually have an Apple Watch, I recommend this book.

---
Disclosure: I received a review copy of this book from the publisher for reviewing it on behalf of CodeRanch.

More info at Amazon.com

Uh oh, we're definitely being carded. Here, show him this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic