• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

SCJA candidates missing out?

Sheriff
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
You're here because you're interested in the SCJA exam, right? And you probably have a specific question or two.

Please, post your questions!

A casual look at this forum shows most topics falling into 3 categories:
  • How do I register (voucher, testing center, etc.)?
  • How do I prepare (books, resources, etc.)?
  • My results (passed/failed).
  • These questions are fine (although answers are easily found by reading prior posts). But is is quite different than the other certification forums (see SCJP, for example), where the bulk of the topics are about content. I think SCJA candidates are missing out in this respect. I realize this is a relatively new certification, and this forum doesn't have the traffic of some other forums. But the strength of JavaRanch is in the expertise of our community here, and I think SCJA candidates are missing out by not using this resource.

So if you're preparing for the exam, I would encourage you to post your questions about content here. I think it would help a lot of users to see active discussions about the concepts and details covered on the exam. My guess is that we have a lot of people browsing who want to ask about specific content, but decide not to because they don't see any other questions like that. So please, go ahead and start the discussion!

Please note: Do not post any real exam questions. For exam results, we prefer that you post in our Sun Certification Results forum and/or add your name to our SCJA Wall of Fame.

author and cow tipper
    Hibernate Spring Tomcat Server
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    I'd have to agree.

Surprisingly, I get quite a few emails through JavaRanch from SCJA candidates asking me questions that I really don't mind answering, but I always have to say, (and I always feel a little rude saying it), "hey, why don't you ask the same thing in the SCJA forum; I'll answer it, and so will a bunch of other people."

By the way, some people that message me have the ability to receive messages turned off. That makes it very hard for me to reply.

Kindest regards,

-Cameron McKenzie

marc weber
    Sheriff
    Mac Safari Java
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Originally posted by Cameron Wallace McKenzie:
    ...I always have to say, (and I always feel a little rude saying it), "hey, why don't you ask the same thing in the SCJA forum; I'll answer it, and so will a bunch of other people." ...

And lots of other users will benefit from reading it. (Also see Use the forum....)

I think everyone would benefit. By having active discussions here, we might even increase interest in the SCJA exam.
    [ February 06, 2008: Message edited by: marc weber ]

Greenhorn
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

I try not to hijack the SCJA forum to talk directly about my books. Just email me through the ranch, or through my personal email, and I'll get back to you much faster. I visit the ranch when I've got the time, but I always check my email regularly.

Kind regards!

-Cameron McKenzie

How do you explain this........

I think any questions should be answered whether its regarding Cameron's book or anything else....

I think Cameron's books questions should be answered as its THE THING for SCJA ....... everyone reads it.......

Thanks
    Arundhati

marc weber
    Sheriff
    Mac Safari Java
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Bump.

marc weber
    Sheriff
    Mac Safari Java
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Bump.

Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    I agree with you Mark. If we look at other certification forums, there are plenty of discussions about actual exam content. Out here, at least for last week or so, I am also feeling that SCJA candidates are missing out. I am not sure how many of them are preparing for SCJA right now and whether they visit the forum even once a day.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic