• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Thin and fat clients

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
The terms "thin clients" and "fat clients" have been used many times in the objectives.
e.g.
1) Describe at a high level the basic characteristics, benefits and drawbacks of creating thin-clients using HTML and JavaScript and the related deployment issues and solutions.
2) Describe at a high level the basic characteristics, benefits, drawbacks, and deployment issues related to creating fat-clients using Applets. I searched for them in google. Many definitions define them as hardware.

What do they mean here exactly?

author and cow tipper
Hibernate Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Here's a webpage of mine with more Applets that you would ever want to see on one page. You need the Java 5 plugin installed in your browser, but of course, I shouldn't even ask if you have that installed, right?

Java Applets, Applets and More Java Applets

One thing you will find is the page takes a while to initialize - a drawback. Another thing you might notice is the page may take a while to load if you have a slow network connection - another drawback. But, you can do alot more stuff with applets than just HTML and JavaScript, although that is becomming less and less true as browsers and HTML become more and more powerful.

I consider applets somewhere between fat and thin. I mean, to me, thin typically involves content delivered through a simple markup language. Fat tends to give me an idea of an application installed locally, such as something installed through Java Web Start or something. But what I think doesn't matter - what matters is what the exam makers think.

Hope this gives you some insight into applets.

-Cameron McKenzie

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic