• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Seeking Java work in Southern California

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
On June 18, 2009, I passed the SCJP 1.6 exam with a score of 88.9%. I would love to find a good organization in Southern California (yes, pretty much ANYWHERE in Southern California) which is well-managed, with good people and a solid business, where I can work in Java (development, support, or QA... I've done them all). I am very flexible when it comes to salary, and I would be enthusiastic about the work. I really do enjoy working with Java. I'll paste my resume below, since apparently *.doc files aren't allowed as attachments. Thank you very much.

Seth Cohen
landmark77@cox.net
949-721-5882

Seeking software work (development / support / QA) in Southern California. Strong in Java, experienced in SQL and C++. Excellent work ethic, excellent written communication. Presently studying Java technologies.

June 2009: Sun Certified Programmer for Java 1.6. Score: 88.9%.

March 2009 – May 2009: U. S. Department of Commerce
Census Enumerator
Using a handheld PC, updated a mapping database with information about residence locations.

May 2006 – present: mid-life time off
A deeply meaningful, once-in-a-lifetime luxury of a long period away from work. I always planned to return to software work, and I completed UC Irvine Extension classes in C#, ASP.NET, Data Communications, and Business Analysis.

August 2001 – May 2006: FileNet Corporation
Principal Engineer
Worked in third-level support. Took ownership of customer problems with FileNet P8, a workflow and content-management J2EE app, and worked these problems with Development and Customer Service. Wrote QA test scripts and programs, and developed a servlet / JSP model-view-controller application for P8. Worked with SQL Server 2000, T-SQL, Oracle, PL/SQL, OLAP databases, JSPs and servlets, WebLogic and WebSphere.

March 2001: Sun Certified Programmer for Java 1.2.

March 2000 – June 2001: Migration Software Systems Limited
Senior Consulting Engineer
Developed web sites for Migration clients. Worked with HTML, CSS, Java, JavaScript, VBScript, classic ASP, SQL Server 2000, T-SQL, Oracle, and PL/SQL.

May 1991 – March 2000: Unitech Research, Inc.
Member of Technical Staff (software developer)
Helped develop a FORTRAN math library, and several COBOL compilers, for the HP-UX, Solaris, AIX, and Windows platforms. These were written in assembler, C, and C++.
From July 1996 to September 1999, I worked in Visual C++ / Microsoft Foundation Classes. I wrote a Japanese text editor (a development environment for Hitachi COBOL), and a program that allowed users to graphically design workflow diagrams.
I enjoyed communicating with our Japanese clients. I made six business trips to Japan, and studied Japanese speaking and writing.

March 1980 – April 1991: MAI / Basic Four Corp.
Senior Engineer
MAI / Basic Four was a good-sized software company, with thousands of employees. A major company product was the Business BASIC language, which is still in use. I was one of the principal designers and developers of this Business BASIC language itself. The software I wrote was a blend between an interpreter and a compiler. It was written in C and several assembly languages, and ran on UNIX and Windows.

September 1977 – March 1980: University of California at Irvine
Master of Science in Information and Computer Science.
Taught computer science classes. Teaching Assistant in Fall, Winter and Spring, and Instructor during the summers.

September 1973 – June 1977: Harvard College
Bachelor of Arts cum laude in Applied Mathematics.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic