• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

AR toolkit for iPhone

Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am reading up about Augmented Reality on mobile phones and have even thought of doing a little some thing like this. When I was going through the wikipedia entry for Augmented Reality, I came across something known as ARtoolkit a small library that helps in writing AR-apps.

The wiki page lists NyARtoolkit as : an ARToolkit class library released for virtual machines, particularly those which host Java, C# and Android. I am having problems trying to use the camera for viewpoint tracking and simultaneously drawing on the canvas. This is an alternative I want to try out.

Has any one worked with this tool kit for writing iPhone app?

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You will need to find one of the toolkits designed for iPhone. The one you say for Java, Andriod and C# will not work for an iPhone App.

This one, which costs money says it is compatible with iPhone
http://studierstube.icg.tu-graz.ac.at/handheld_ar/stbtracker.php

I have never used any of the apis myself, but looks pretty cool.

Mark

Monu Tripathi
Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am actually working on Android and perhaps, therefore, I forgot - it is Objective C for iPhone.
Augmented Reality apps do look cool. The creators of the Layar Augmented Reality browser and Wikitude (both Android apps)have exposed their APIs to the public. Also, I recently came to know of two new Android applications submitted in the market:
somaview and
GeoVector

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Augmented reality is somehow a technology that makes scenes generated by computer to merge with scenes captured from the real world. Such as if you capture your own picture or video, which is an object in the real world, and you create a computer-generated background or 3D objects, such as in a deep ocean with fishes swimming around. And using the augmented reality software tool you can merge them, which results a video or a picture that looks so real, that you can hardly differentiate between what is real and what is generated by the computer.

Open source augmented reality software tools have existed on the desktop computers for quite some times. Now there is a version of these AR tools available for the iPhone, called ARToolKit v4.4, which makes your iPhone capable of creating AR videos for you on the fly.

The ARToolKit v4.4 is the first fully-featured AR framework that supports native operation on Apple iPhone, which lets you create applications with sample real world imagery captured with your iPhone camera, and merges them with software-generated 3D objects. The ARToolKit is also well integrated with the accelerometer of the iPhone, which allows it to automatically detect movements from the iPhone, and impose those movements on 3D images instantaneously.

This AR software also allows iPhone to track multiple points simultaneously, and you can easily place new objects in the virtual world using the iPhone’s multi-touch interface.

Greenhorn
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You might be interested to check ChattAR it's a code sample from QuickBlox showing how to implement an AR chat using the APIs:

http://quickblox.com/developers/Chattar

Best Regards!

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic