• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

learning material for SCJA

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
I am new to java but I have done bit of programming in vb.net environment.I am planning to do SCJA so i can cover java basics. Can you please help me, where should i start to prepare for SCJA exams? Please suggest me some good books and tutorials. I would appreciate ,if anyone can provide me a good road map to achieve my goal.

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Aqsa Mughal wrote:Hi,
I am new to java but I have done bit of programming in vb.net environment.I am planning to do SCJA so i can cover java basics. Can you please help me, where should i start to prepare for SCJA exams? Please suggest me some good books and tutorials. I would appreciate ,if anyone can provide me a good road map to achieve my goal.

Start with Head First Java, 2nd Edition by Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates (O'Reilly Media Inc., 2005).

Then check out the SCJA FAQ: http://faq.javaranch.com/java/ScjaFaq for study guide material.

Good luck.

-- Robert

author and cow tipper
Hibernate Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Robert is rather humble. He's the author of the O'Reiley (sp?) SCJA Certification Guide, which is an excellent resource.

I on the other hand am not humble, and would tell you to go out and pick up a copy of my SCJA Certification Guide, along with the SCJA Exam Questions book, which is filled with over 350 sample questions that you can use to quiz yourself and really, really, really get prepared for the actual exam. You can check out my signature links for more info.

Enthuware also has a pretty solid testing engine if you want to go that route as well.

And while SCJA Guides are great, they are just that - guides. You do need some Java programming fundamentals. I like Java Programming for Dummies if you're really new to Java, and if you have a college course or some experience programming before, Head First Java is a great resource to have as well.

Best of luck! And ask lots of questions.

-Cameron McKenzie
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic