• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Groovy + JSF versus Ruby on Rails versus PHP

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Bruce,

How do you see:

Groovy +JSF versus Ruby on Rails versus PHP

Three ways to get hot deployment and instant turnaround.

Could you give any compelling reasons to go for Ruby on Rails (or PHP)?

Other questions:

- Why did you leave out PHP from your seven other languages?
- Do you use any comparison matrix's in the book?
Reason, I find a lot of technical comparisons can be quite verbose and a matriix which indicates features oftens summarises information really well. For example, Web Frameworks comparisons. Did you use any in your book? Or was it a case you are looking at completly different features in each language?

Cheers

Bartender
Scala Python Oracle Postgres Database Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Luke Murphy wrote:

Isn't that like comparing apples, oranges and bananas?

I guess Groovy/Grails vs Ruby/Rails might be comparable. As for PHP, not sure what equivalent frameworks exist e.g. Zend Framework provides components, but not equivalent to Rails/Grails...

Author
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Luke Murphy wrote:Hi Bruce,

How do you see:

Three ways to get hot deployment and instant turnaround.

Could you give any compelling reasons to go for Ruby on Rails (or PHP)?

Other questions:

- Why did you leave out PHP from your seven other languages?
- Do you use any comparison matrix's in the book?
Reason, I find a lot of technical comparisons can be quite verbose and a matriix which indicates features oftens summarises information really well. For example, Web Frameworks comparisons. Did you use any in your book? Or was it a case you are looking at completly different features in each language?

Cheers

Groovy/Grails has actually evolved a lot. It is a good language and framework. I don't think you get all of the metaprogramming or coding simplicity that you get with Ruby, but it is definitely a good starting point if you have lots of Java requirements to satisfy. PhP has obviously been around and very successful for a long time. I think that many people make a mistake and think that PhP is cheap because bad PhP developers are cheap. (That's becoming true of Ruby too.) But PhP done right can be almost beautiful in its own right. I think that over PhP, I like Rails because it gives you deeper, richer programming abstractions. So Rails is slower and less compatible and deployable in some instances than either of the other two instances. I use it because to me, it is the language that best optimizes the programmer. In my business of building complicated software for new startups, speed and cleanliness mean everything, and I've not yet been able to replicate that in another framework. But other teams have had great success with both PhP and Groovy/Grails.

Lots of good questions here. I left off PhP because it's already too popular (as is Perl/C/Java/C#). I didn't build any comparison matrix, but that would have been a good idea. This book was more about the learning process than a tit-for-tat comparison. It seems like when I do those kinds of comparisons, someone always gets ticked off. Don't get me wrong. Sometimes that needs to happen. But in this case, ticking someone off would not advance the book or the ideas in it.

Luke Murphy
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Great answer. Can't wait to get a chance to read this book.

I'm THIS CLOSE to ruling the world! Right after reading this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic