• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

can someone point me to the best book on java networking

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi guys,
i am already comfortable with java but i want to start developing desktop app with swing with network capability but i am not comfortable with my present knowledge in both rmi and socket so i am looking for a very good book on java networking that will bring my knowledge to a comfortable professional level in networking so i need you assistance in this regasds. Also what do you think is the best approach to building networked desktop app with java, is it rmi or socket or something else if it exist.Thanks in advance
yomi

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
<<bump>>

I'll give you a bump for this topic.

I have been looking for a good book on Java networking. All the books that I have seen seem to have 1999 copyright dates. I know that the RMI spec has changed since then. For example, since the Java 2 SDK implementation of RMI, the new wire protocol made skeleton classes obsolete. RMI uses reflection to make the connection to the remote service object. All the books on RMI and Java networking seem to reference skeleton classes and objects, which are for JDK 1.1 and JDK 1.1 compatible system implementations.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi there,

here's what I found : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0596007213/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1565922271&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1S61B87NEQ9TASFP8VDY

This book "Java Network Programming, Third Edition" is in its 3rd edition and includes the "NEW I/O"(NIO) package which deals with, among other things, asynchronous I/O as applied to networking and RMI, etc. Any book in its 3rd edition is usually pretty good -- atleast , we can conclude that it has good basics. coming from O'Reilly, we can conclude that this book has decent editing, index, etc.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic