• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Ubuntu Unleashed 2011 Edition: Covering 10.10 and 11.04 (6th Edition)

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Author/s    : Matthew Helmke, Ryan Troy, Andrew Hudson, Paul Hudson
Publisher   : Sams
Category   : Other
Review by : Rob Spoor
Rating        : 7 horseshoes

According to the book, it presents "advanced coverage" of Ubuntu. After reading the book I have to disagree. It does handle a lot of topics (in no less than 36 chapters), but in just 681 pages; that's an average of 19 pages per chapter. The result of this is that the book is like a freight train at times - going through subjects in high speed without many details. Especially the two chapters on the command line suffer from this problem. The second one, "Command Line Masterclass", doesn't even mention using && and || or error stream redirecting. The book tries to tell it all, but because of this actually says little about a lot.

Another main problem is a poor editing job. There are still quite a bit of errors in the book, ranging from formatting errors to images being out of order to incorrect forward references to typos in commands. A few commands that I copied from the book don't even run on my Ubuntu 10.10 installation because of missing / incorrect parameters, and even a missing : in a PATH variable. The instructions also seem to be wrong at time; I could get neither SWAT nor PostgreSQL running properly using the instructions in the book.

And what's up with the promise of a "Free Upgrade to Ubuntu 11.04"? The DVD is only available to US and Canada residents, but of course you can also download it for free from the Ubuntu website.

In the end, I'm not saying it's a bad book; it did teach me a new trick or two. I just wouldn't recommend it.

---
Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for writing this review on behalf of CodeRanch.

More info at Amazon.com

There were millions of the little blood suckers. But thanks to this tiny ad, I wasn't bitten once.
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic