• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

passing a file object on a network using corba

Ranch Hand
jQuery Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi,
i need to pass a file object through a network using corba. I am using Java IDL right now.. as this application has to work in JVM 1.3, this is a specific restriction which cant be changed. I have tried java serialization for this, it worked locally, but when on LAN, it doesnt work.

Anyone has any other logic to do it?
Thanks

Author and all-around good cowpoke
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
A java.io.File object is localized to the operating system it is created under, why would you expect a remote object to use the same pathnames?

Bill

s ravi chandran
Ranch Hand
jQuery Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

thanks for replying...
Its not the filepath i am interested in. Its the file with content. I need to pass multiple files over network using corba. Now this files will reach a java server where i have to process it and put it in appropriate place. Is passing the file content the only way of doing it? As there are many files, i dont knw if it wld be optimal or not.

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, if you want to pass the contents of the file from one computer to another, you have to pass the file content. So "optimal" doesn't come into the question because there is no different option for it to be better (or worse) than.

William Brogden
Author and all-around good cowpoke
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ah! when you said file object I thought you meant java.io.File

You can either move the file or provide some sort of reference whereby the remote server can read the content from the present location.

What is your real problem here? Total file size/ network bandwidth? Disk space?

Bill

s ravi chandran
Ranch Hand
jQuery Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thanks for reply. I was initially thinking of java.io.File only.. But due to the reference concept, it doesnt fit in my requirement. now the situation is like this: i have an application in which user uploads a file and sends to another registered user over a network which can be anything frm LAN to normal DSL network.. Now because the application client can be in either c++ or java, i need corba... and as the server has jvm 1.3 restrictions, i am using java IDL.

Now, the main issue is the uploaded binary file or text file to be transported as message.. I dont know how to make it work with least overhead.. I have implemented the reading of file content and passing it over network, but i wanted to know if there is any other way or not.. as I am not able to think of any other option on corba...

passing of object by any means is not possible right?

Paul Clapham
Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You're talking about "least overhead"? That suggests that you already have at least two working candidates for sending a file's data. Can you tell us what they are?

s ravi chandran
Ranch Hand
jQuery Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
that exactly is what i am pointing out.. I am unable to think of anything else.. Thats why I am asking, is there any option which i might be missing?

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic