• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Getting Started in Electronics

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Author/s    : Forrest Mims
Publisher   : Master Publishing
Category   : Other
Review by : Jeanne Boyarsky
Rating        : 10 horseshoes

"Getting Started in Electronics" is only 128 pages but covers an incredible amount. It goes over the major parts in electronics. I like the emphasis on how things work - yes a little physics. There are wiring diagrams, pictures of components and a great reference on the covers.

It's the kind of book you have to read many times to get everything out of it. First read was great though.

The only thing I don't like is that it is handwritten font on graph paper like in a real engineering notebook. I loved the O'Reilly series which was also on graph paper. The difference is that a typed font was used for the main text and only the notes in the margin looked handwritten. By contrast, having everything look handwritten made it hard to skim. I used a highlighter to solve that problem on subsequent reads.

And I used the highlighter a lot which means there was lots of information. I bought this book directly from http://www.forrestmims.com/. It came in less than 5 days which was quite impressive.

More info at Amazon.com

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic