• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Flex multiple aspx/html pages and sharedobject

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,

this is not a right place for aspx/flex programming, but I just wanted to check being architecture issue,

Platform- Flash Builder 4 (Flex as front end) and .Visual Studio 2010

(.NET as backend), MYSQL 5.1

We are developing flex application integrated with .NET pages.
We are getting the data from MySQL 5.1 in .NET pages and in Flex we are

using HTTPService to get the data from .NET.

We wanted to implement login functionality, so that only authenticated

users can access other pages.

As we cannot create pages in Flex, we created two mxml applications in

our project. Both are at the same level.(We are not using MXML

component to create mxml files)

1. Login.mxml- contains the login form which is initial screen
2. Dashboard.mxml- which will be displayed after successful

authentication

We are embedding each of these swfs in two separate aspx files,namely

Login.aspx and Dashboard.aspx.

First, the Login.aspx page will be displayed containing login form. After

successful login, we are navigating url to DashBoard.aspx(using

navigateToURL and not SWFLoader control) which contains the data for

logged in users.

Right now, for each page we are creating new MXML application in our

same project, and for using it, we are embedding it in aspx page.
Is this correct approach to develop the flex application with multiple

pages?
If not, please suggest us correct way. Thanks in advance.

Regards
Sham Yemul, www.Intellisoft.co.in

author and jackaroo
Mac IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Oracle C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I get the feeling that there are other things you are not telling us (as one simple example, why you are using ASPX files at all - why not plain HTML files), and that is fine - it just means that the answers you get may not match your requirements.

I think that your approach can work quite well.

I have a minor concern with your stated architecture in that having the URL / second Flex app exposed in this way means that someone could attempt to go directly to that second page / application, and skip the login process completely. You are hopefully architecting your solution to handle such attacks, so this may not be a concern for you.

Assuming you have that issue properly mitigated, then it can be superior in security to both a SWFLoader approach or an embedded SWC approach. However failing to get the security right will not make it any less secure, so I don't see any reason not to go that path.

Andrew Monkhouse
author and jackaroo
Mac IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Oracle C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
By the way, there is nothing wrong with posting in multiple forums, but it is considered polite to mention that you have done so, preferably with links to the other topic(s).

I see this is also:
  • here, and
  • here

•  
    Sham Yemul
    Greenhorn
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Andrew Monkhouse wrote:I get the feeling that there are other things you are not telling us (as one simple example, why you are using ASPX files at all - why not plain HTML files), and that is fine - it just means that the answers you get may not match your requirements.

=> We are basically asp.net developers, we have created ASPNet Membership to make sure which pages are visible to members/registered users and which are not. the application has few pages which we want to give access to un-registered users as well. At the same time, I want to make all these pages be in flex to give consistent feeling. I could not get page control if we go with HTML pages, so we preferred to use aspx.

I think that your approach can work quite well.

I have a minor concern with your stated architecture in that having the URL / second Flex app exposed in this way means that someone could attempt to go directly to that second page / application, and skip the login process completely. You are hopefully architecting your solution to handle such attacks, so this may not be a concern for you.

=> yeah, aspx will make sure un-registered users won't get pages which are not meant for them. I did not find reliable and simple ways like role management in aspx in flex.

Assuming you have that issue properly mitigated, then it can be superior in security to both a SWFLoader approach or an embedded SWC approach. However failing to get the security right will not make it any less secure, so I don't see any reason not to go that path.

=> thanks for the suggestion and confirmation.

I am sorry, to post at multiple forums, I was quite worried how to proceed and did not find way out, I am still get a complete website developed using Flex 4, that brings data thr' aspnet web service etc . so facing problems to understand/work on these basic issues. I will note your suggestion in future postings.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic