• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Scala in commercial IT?

Bartender
Scala Python Oracle Postgres Database Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
As a newcomer to Scala (since the Coursera FP in Scala course a few months ago), I'm still not clear how far Scala is penetrating the wider world of commercial application development. There are a few high profile users (the UK Guardian, Twitter, Foursquare), but have you seen much uptake of Scala beyond these pioneering early adopters, or are people still waiting to see how this "new-fangled" language works out for other people before they try it themselves?

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Another one you may be missing is Juniper Networks.

While I can't just list the set of clients that typesafe has, I will say that Scala *is* seeing increased adoption in larger corporations. At this point, it's still the kind of thing that's hush hush, and not public. SO the ones most people know about are the ones that were non-public a while ago, and are now announcing.

Having been in the scala community since 2006/7-ish, I'll say that we're seeing a *lot* of companies taking serious looks at scala. In particular, Akka has been a prominent driver of adoptions for folks who already have large JVM systems and are looking add new services.

In any case, from what I can see in my neck of the woods, Scala adoption is on the rise. More conservative organizations are in the evaluate/prototype stage right now. Once a few them are successful, I think we'll see how many more announce public Scala usage/projects.

That's my $.02, would love to hear others.

chris webster
Bartender
Scala Python Oracle Postgres Database Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the quick response. So what kind of projects are people using Scala for? Is it mainly to add things like better support for concurrency to existing Java-based applications, or are they using Scala from the ground up for greenfield projects as well?

Josh Suereth
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think Scala is doing better with greenfield projects, but we're seeing it venture into existing ones as well. As far as domain, I've seen a whole gambit, from trading to "webapp is the product" to health care.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic