• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

facing problem regarding how to start learning web services

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi all,
i am facing lots of confusion regarding how to learn web services. I am totally new to it and from past few days I am opening books and get confused and shut them. i could not develop my interest as i developed while preparing for scjp and scwcd .
my problems are :
i read xml,soap,wsdl from rmh book . i understood them.
i saw on forums that to skip jax-rpc from that so i opened web services up and running. on the very first exercise i felt like there are too much of the things that i had no clue. so i shut it.
then i opened mikalai notes and again i felt the same.
then i opened ivan notes then i felt only little bit relieved that i got some of the basic knowledge there. then i started doing google on the topics that i dont know but i still feel that like i am learning less from notes and have to google almost all things.

i felt quite confortable while reading rmh book but the topics which are not covered in the book how to do them.
please help me to get out of this frustration and guide me the easiest way for all these so that i could develop my interest in this.

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well... I got frustrated too. Here is my tips for version 6 exam:
1. Start with Java Web Service up and running. Try to read from chapter 1 to 4 first (easier topic) and read RMH's book about XML, SOAP, WSDL.
2. Read REST in Practice: Hypermedia and System Architecture ( get a better idea about REST)
3. Read RESTful Java with Java-RS
4. Read Imbibing java web services a step by step approach for learning Web services

Then, go back to read MZ and Ivan's notes, you may feel their notes makes a lot of sense.
I know it takes a lot of time and effort.

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well learning Webservices are not straightforward as SCJP & SCWCD. The best way to read java webservices up and running is by writing program and testing it. Just reading won't create any interest.
If you are familiar with maven then create a maven project and start testing the sample example in the book. Its very easy using Maven project.
I am also preparing for the Web service certification and I am about to finish this book. Yes, sometime there might be instances where some material has been missed or wrong for given sample example but you can correct it by doing your own research.
Happy learning..

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic