• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Most reliable method to achieve mail download / sync consistency

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm implementing a mail client which downloads all mails and stores them locally. Any mail deleted locally should be reflected in the online inbox and vice versa. Also if the download of mail stops before all mails are downloaded, it should resume from the stopped mail next time.

Currently I'm using a combination of message id and message uid for this but I heard it's not a reliable method for this. Can you guys suggest me any other approach ?

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That sounds pretty much like IMAP works. Which protocol are you using to access the server?

Aneesh Mohan
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ulf Dittmer ,
I'm using both IMAP and POP3 and in both the protocols, I'm following the message-id approach. Is this the only approach applicable to IMAP ?

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I'm using both IMAP and POP3 and in both the protocols

This sounds odd. POP has no concept of synchronization, so you're bound to run into problems, especially if you also (or variously) use IMAP.

Aneesh Mohan
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ulf Dittmer wrote:

I'm using both IMAP and POP3 and in both the protocols

This sounds odd. POP has no concept of synchronization, so you're bound to run into problems, especially if you also (or variously) use IMAP.

Ok I should mention that POP3 is there as fallback for certain sites which only support POP3 ( like Outlook) . I don't use sync here but I do use message-id to identify messages.
But with IMAP as I said, message-id is being used.
Suppose I have a fully sync list of mails in my local machine. Now, If I delete a mail in the inbox, how can I identify this event so that I can also delete the local copy automatically? Is it just a matter of comparing the message-uids of local and server mails and delete whatever is missing in the server?

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic