• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Software Architecture for Developers

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Author/s    : Simon Brown
Publisher   : Leanpub
Category   : Other, Project Management, Process and Best Practices
Review by : Junilu Lacar
Rating        : 10 horseshoes

If I were to draw an analogy, Simon Brown's new book (#sa4d) is to software architecture as Robert Fulgham's "Everything I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten" is to self-improvement. If you're looking for things like architectural patterns, templates, and step-by-step guides, look somewhere else. The value of this book is in the ideas that Simon shares on how to think about architecture ("architecture is a role, not a rank"), and organize your work so that you can effectively communicate your software's architecture. Simon recommends a lightweight approach that aligns well with agile practices and the book is a great reminder that agility is not only about process management. Another thought from the book that really gets you thinking: "Software architects should code." On the practical side, Parts V and VIII of the book give a wonderful template and example of supplemental product documentation in the form of a Software Guidebook. This supports Simon's assertion that "the code doesn't tell the whole story."

For those aspiring to become well-rounded software architects, this book reminds us that there is more to architecture than just technology. It makes us step back from the trees of technical details and take a good look at the vast expanse of the software architecture forest. Highly recommended reading.

---
Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for writing this review on behalf of CodeRanch.

More info at Amazon.com

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic