• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Pointers needed for Clustering concepts.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,
I have around 3-4 years of experience in Java/JEE. I want some exposure on Clusturing and its related keywords like Load-Balancing/Fault-tolerance/virtualization/Distributed node/session-replication etc.
I tried to search a lot of but I didn't find all this in any book. I am not looking for implementation but I want to clear all the concepts related to them.

Please provide some pointers/link/reference for the same.

Thanks in advance.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Did you try Google?

You might find this link helpful.

And if you're interested in GlassFish or Tomcat specific specifications, you can check their respective documentation.

For Tomcat, you could try this link. Points 18 and 19 cover clustering and load balancing parts.

Vicky Roy
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Heena but these links are more related to implementation rather than conceptual data. Configuring session-replication makes no sense untill unless we don't know what it is? and how it works. Hope you are getting what I want.

Thanks again for giving your valuable time.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
All those terms sound like they would have their own Wikipedia page; those might be good starting points.

Vicky Roy
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ulf Dittmer wrote:All those terms sound like they would have their own Wikipedia page; those might be good starting points.

Right. Can't I get all these things in a very big tutorial where I can get the step by step explanation?

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What "steps" would those be? I thought you were hoping to improve your knowledge of the concepts?

Vicky Roy
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Paul Clapham wrote:What "steps" would those be? I thought you were hoping to improve your knowledge of the concepts?

My bad, you got misunderstood because of me. I meant concepts only... eg. first a cluster need to be setup then for sending request selectively we will need a load balancer... like this... every item will come into the picture at right time when they all will be at single place.
Hope you got me.

Thanks.

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Can't I get all these things in a very big tutorial

"Very big tutorial" sounds like "book" to me. A search on Amazon or some publisher's sites might help find one that covers these topics with a Java slant.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Fedora Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Conceptually, there are two strategies : Active-Passive and Active-Active.

Active-Active is more expensive but provides continued operation when one side goes down. Active-Passive does not provide continuous operation, and make take several minutes to spin-up the inactive side.

Designing systems with loose coupling is a big advantage when it comes to addressing sustained business operations in the face of outages. Hence the popularity of Service Oriented Architecture and Enterprise Service Bus patterns.

Moving data into distributed cache or in-memory database instances is a good step forward also.

Single-sign-on and mutual authentication promote seamless hand offs between instances and preservation of state between transactions.

Vicky Roy
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

"Very big tutorial" sounds like "book" to me. A search on Amazon or some publisher's sites might help find one that covers these topics with a Java slant.

Book is also fine to me but I am not able to find one. Could you please point out some books?

Thanks.

Vicky Roy
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Roger Sterling wrote:Conceptually, there are two strategies : Active-Passive and Active-Active.

Active-Active is more expensive but provides continued operation when one side goes down. Active-Passive does not provide continuous operation, and make take several minutes to spin-up the inactive side.

Designing systems with loose coupling is a big advantage when it comes to addressing sustained business operations in the face of outages. Hence the popularity of Service Oriented Architecture and Enterprise Service Bus patterns.

Moving data into distributed cache or in-memory database instances is a good step forward also.

Single-sign-on and mutual authentication promote seamless hand offs between instances and preservation of state between transactions.

It was like a bouncer to me. Never heard about these strategies. Please give pointer for detailed study.

Thanks.

Roger Sterling
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Fedora Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Vicky Roy wrote:

Book is also fine to me but I am not able to find one. Could you please point out some books?

Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Development-using-GlassFish-Application-Server/dp/1847192602

Roger Sterling
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Fedora Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Vicky Roy wrote:

Roger Sterling wrote:Conceptually, there are two strategies : Active-Passive and Active-Active.

It was like a bouncer to me. Never heard about these strategies. Please give pointer for detailed study.

Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/MySQL-High-Availability-Building-Centers/dp/0596807309/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1392655802&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=spring+-+Scalability+and+high+availability+of+a+Java+standalone

Vicky Roy
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I didn't find any topic clustering topic in Glassfish book!

MySQL book has some topics, it will surely help. But they are more related to configuration that is also with database. I am looking preferably conceptual thing only (not specific to any technology) and if it is related to any implementation then preferably with Java web servers.

Thanks for spending your valuable time on me.

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I still think reading the respective Wikipedia pages would be a good idea; they generally also have further links to material that might be more extensive, or easier to understand.

Roger Sterling
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Fedora Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Vicky Roy wrote:I didn't find any topic clustering topic in Glassfish book!

MySQL book has some topics, it will surely help. But they are more related to configuration that is also with database. I am looking preferably conceptual thing only (not specific to any technology) and if it is related to any implementation then preferably with Java web servers.

Thanks for spending your valuable time on me.

The trick is to understand the basics, then apply those concepts to the advanced topic of load balancing, fail-over, et. al.

If you do not understand how something works at the functional level, trying to understand the more advanced concepts is useless.

Roger Sterling
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Fedora Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ulf Dittmer wrote:I still think reading the respective Wikipedia pages would be a good idea; they generally also have further links to material that might be more extensive, or easier to understand.

I agree. However, many people simply gloss over the details, so it would be important to emphasize the act of reading and comprehending. Trying the many tutorials available. Problem solve. Thinking independently. Proactive.

Vicky Roy
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Agree Roger. That's why I am looking for functional details not the implementation.

Ulf Dittmer, I will try with wikipedia.

Thanks.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic