• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Meet in the middle approach

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
In MZ's notes, there is a question like this:
You are hired by Snorcle, Inc to develop an order tracking web service which will be consumed by partner companies. Clients use different platforms (JEE, .NET). In order to reduce load of the web service clients will be asked to implement client side validation of request. Which approach should you use?
1. Code first (java-to-wsdl)
2. Contract first (wsdl-to-java)
3. Meet in the middle approach
4. None of approach

The option given by MZ is contract first.
According to MZ's notes, it says "there is no meet in the middle approach to create web service."

But I think the option should be meet in the middle approach.
My reasons:
1. The meet in the middle approach is introduced in Ivan's note. When there is an existing WSDL and existing business logic, use meet in the middle approach.
2. The question say "you are hired to develop ... a web service". So, I assume there must be an existing WSDL and business logic for me to develop. Using meet in the middle approach, I can add portType, operation and message nodes to the existing WSDL, generate new SEI and implement SIB.
3. I can validate the client request in XML using the schema refered in the WSDL.

Contract first is used when there is no such a web service and I need to create a web service from scratch.

I am not sure if meet in the middle approach is right or contract first is right. Any comments?

Creator of Enthuware JWS+ V6
Android Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

According to MZ's notes, it says "there is no meet in the middle approach to create web service."

Well, I have to agree with Ivan here. There is a meet-in-the-middle approach, just google and you will find some examples.

The question say "you are hired to develop ... a web service". So, I assume there must be an existing WSDL and business logic for me to develop.

No, there is nothing yet (which rules out Meet-in-the-middle), you are the one going to create the web service either by Code first or by Contract first. You have to decide what is the best option in that scenario.

I can validate the client request in XML using the schema refered in the WSDL.

Which still has to be created...

Regards,
Frits

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic