• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How to set a timer for timed mode?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm not sure how I will start it; I tried doing some research and I don't think Swing timers fit.

But here's really what I'm after:

For example, the player chooses Timed mode, then we'll suppose there'll be 1 minute for the player to play the game, and once it's over, then scores will be recorded. (When paused, the timer will also pause).

I'm not exactly asking for codes, I'm a beginner and would appreciate a few suggestions like what stuff should I learn about, something like that to begin this task.

Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm assuming your game is event-driven, and doesn't use a main program loop (usually the case with real-time games).

When your player starts their turn, you can pass a TimerTask to java.util.Timer that executes once or twice per second (use scheduleAtFixedRate()). Each time it executes, you update the GUI (just call repaint() and let the GUI decide how many seconds are left). When the TimerTask determines that time has run out, it tells your model that the turn should end, and then it performs cancel() on itself.

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Beware: Complicated and confusing post to follow.

There are two sorts of Timer, which work slightly differently. You can read about the other one (Swing) here. Then you can decide which sort is better for your current requirements. If the Swing Timer works in the Event Dispatch Thread (EDT), you may find it blocks your entire GUI, in which case you will want the other Timer. In Timer, it suggests this link will help; I haven't read it.
Remember you need to enter the EDT so your Timer or TimerTask would have to enter it: start reading here.

Actually, there is a third kind of Timer (Management) in the API.

Stephan van Hulst
Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Campbell Ritchie wrote:Remember you need to enter the EDT so your Timer or TimerTask would have to enter it: start reading here.

Not necessarily. They can simply update the model, and call repaint() on the GUI. repaint() does not have to be on the EDT.

Replace the word "snake" with "danger noodle" in all tiny ads.
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic