• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Today I failed OCEJWSD

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

This exam is serious business.

I failed it hard.

Studied for 2 weeks full time, using enthuwares mock exam, MZs guides and quizzes, and have read Web Services Up and Running front to cover, as well as the WebServices and XML chapter of "Beginning Java EE7" book.

(Yes I did pass all the "Objective tests first a couple of times" then the standard enthuware mock exams (after Standard Test 1 first-fail second-pass, all the rest of Standard Tests 4-5 I passed on first try with more than 78% on each.)

The real exam feels like it had half the questions related to security and WS-*. But the real difficulty is in understanding/parsing the language used on the exam.

Oh well. Sucks for me.

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You mean 30 questions on WS-* and security ?
From other ranchers, they said something like approximately 12 questions on design and best practice, 8 questions on security, 8 questions on configurations, 4 on WS-Addressing, 4 on MTOM, 4 on SOAP, 4 on REST and etc.

I guess 2 weeks is not enough to prepare for this exam. Some people spent 3-4 months to study on the exam by reviewing the study guides and book twice.
I have already spent 13 months on this preparation and I will take it in May.

Enthuware Software Support
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Velerij,
I am very sorry to know that you failed the exam. I just sent you a private message. Please check your "Purple Mooseages".
thank you,
Paul.

Valerij Starkov
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Himai Minh: Thats how it feels yes. Looking at the score results, it is through though only 12 are on design and best practice, 7 on security and so on. I had 2 on addressing.

For me many of the "apply best practices to design and implement web services" which the score results shows as 12 - many of those were related to security, but not WS-Security or WS-Policy or such.

Paul: Enthuware, yes I did the Objective tests several times each and Quick Diagnostic test before trying Standard tests. Perhaps that made me remember the questions and pass the Standard tests on first try. In that case, this should be of course clearly stated both on the website and exam simulator, because I believed the Objective tests were for doing them and following a book - and MZ notes, which I did. I believed Objective test questions were different from Standard test but they are not, and that gave me a false confidence - passing all standard tests on first try with more than 78%... and then 54% on real exam.

Just for fun, I downloaded and tried out EPractice Labs and they have a Pre Measurement test with 16 questions, this one I passed with 68%.

So for ranches: the mock exams, and MZs quiz. be very very careful with them. They can be counter-productive.

I dont know what Ill do now.

Himai Minh
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I suggested to give yourself 2-3 months to go through the study materials again and try to take the exam again.
Most ranchers shared their experience with us. They all spent months to study MZ's notes and etc.
Most ranchers said MZ's notes, Ivan's notes, Ethuware mock exams , Java WS Up and Running are helpful.

You mean best practice / design in security?
The exam is supposed to cover different aspects of web service, not just security; otherwise, it will become a network security expert exam.

Ranch Hand
Mac IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This post is scary, Sorry you failed. but I think even a superman wont be able to cover all these topics in 2 weeks!

Bartender
Eclipse IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Valerij,

Sorry to hear about your result. Few fellow members have already replied about taking out more time for preparation.

I would recommend to go through your result sheet (it should be visible in your CertView profile). Oracle provides topic-wise scores for the certification exam (i.e. how many questions for a specific topic, and how many you answered correctly). This will be immensely useful for your further preparation.

All the best!

And Welcome to CodeRanch!

Valerij Starkov
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you all for your support and consideration.

I will take the exam again when I feel ready, and will report back on the progress then.

So far I found the book "SOA Using Java Web Services" to be quite interesting. Reading it slowly before sleep, probably a month or to until next attempt.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Valerji,

Oh not a good news to hear that after all the efforts, the attempt wasn't successful. However, maybe try again as you know better now?

I was just wondering if you tried it again? What books/resources are you referring to now? I am preparing for this exam too and have just finished Web Services Up and Running. Deciding on the next book to pick up. Good luck!

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Manish Verma wrote:Hi Valerji,

Oh not a good news to hear that after all the efforts, the attempt wasn't successful. However, maybe try again as you know better now?

I was just wondering if you tried it again? What books/resources are you referring to now? I am preparing for this exam too and have just finished Web Services Up and Running. Deciding on the next book to pick up. Good luck!

WebServices exam is one of the toughest (can be compared IMHO only with OCE JA 6.0 Part 1), you can try to read J2EE WebServices by RMH - the book is very old, but some parts, like WS-I BP 1.0, XML, XSD are still applicable.
Also, try to search in net free Web Services BluePrints from Sun Microsystems - it should help on WebServices Architecture part. Also old, but mostly applicable to WSD 6 exam.
Also, there is ScdjwsLinks page here - http://faq.javaranch.com/java/ScdjwsLinks

Manish Verma
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Mikalai Zaikin wrote:

Manish Verma wrote:Hi Valerji,

WebServices exam is one of the toughest (can be compared IMHO only with OCE JA 6.0 Part 1), you can try to read J2EE WebServices by RMH - the book is very old, but some parts, like WS-I BP 1.0, XML, XSD are still applicable.
Also, try to search in net free Web Services BluePrints from Sun Microsystems - it should help on WebServices Architecture part. Also old, but mostly applicable to WSD 6 exam.
Also, there is ScdjwsLinks page here - http://faq.javaranch.com/java/ScdjwsLinks

Cheers MZ. I have downloaded your notes too, an essential part of my plan. Haven't started yet though.

Now, since the books come recommended from you, so I take it seriously, otherwise I wouldn't have thought about referring to such old books. I would appreciate if you mention the relevant sections/chapters from RMH.

I couldn't find any working link on the BluePrints web services. There are links on Oracle website but none of them work, actually. Closest, I could get to was this book:-DWSJ2EE book, which I read, is from the BluePrints author team. Are you aware if this book would work as a substitute for BluePrints? What sections within this book are relevant please?

You have given some idea about the relevant topics from these two books already. However, just asking it again for any refinement that you might like to add. thanks

Yes, gone through scdjws links a couple of times.

Mikalai Zaikin
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Manish Verma wrote:
DWSJ2EE book, which I read, is from the BluePrints author team. Are you aware if this book would work as a substitute for BluePrints? What sections within this book are relevant please?

Hi, yes, this is the book which also know "Java WebServices Blueprints", and it was shared for free by Sun Microsystems, it must be somewhere in the internet (Oracle reorganized web site, all links broken). I can't say exactly which sections are relevant, for RMH book - just skip UDDI, JAXR, JAX-RPC stuff. Just use common sense - as I said the book is still relevant for XML, XSD and WS-I BP 1.0 (at least these three topics)

Manish Verma
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
cheers MZ. You are a star!

Mikalai Zaikin
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Here Java WebServices Blueprints available for free download (free account required) *
* as I said Sun Microsystems shared it on sun.com, so I believe it's fully legal to download it.

Manish Verma
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Mikalai Zaikin wrote:Here Java WebServices Blueprints available for free download (free account required) *
* as I said Sun Microsystems shared it on sun.com, so I believe it's fully legal to download it.

9 bucks for a free book? Naah, I got an actually free link to the book.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm surprised this isn't suggested more....use Enthuware's "Leitner Mode" to study! I used it for web components, now using it for Web Services. I started out performing horribly, but with each question, after answering, I'd evaluate immediately. Then read the explanation he gives and then research on the web or in books. That way my studying was directed. I had read the suggested book (JWS) first. I now feel I'm up to about 60% correct in answering. The problem, for me at least, is that the application servers make it so darn easy these days...point here click there. LOL, I just taught a Java Associates exam preparation class and many of the questions on Enthuware I didn't know, as I'd always relied upon Eclipse to tell me if my code was wrong. Enthuware, IMHO, is far and away the best software, and at the best price, on the Internet. I know when I teach the Java Associates Exam Prep class again I am going to require it for all students and "teach to the simulator" directly.

Anyways, I know this thread is old. But if you fail...my 2 cents is to get Enthuware, use Leitner mode until "learned" and then retake the exam. Hoping I post a "I passed" in a couple weeks.

James A. Brannan

James Brannan
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Manish Verma wrote:

Mikalai Zaikin wrote:Here Java WebServices Blueprints available for free download (free account required) *

Do share, please.

Manish Verma
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

James Brannan wrote:

Manish Verma wrote:

Do share, please.

Here is the link:-
dwsj2ee

Mikalai Zaikin
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

James Brannan wrote:

Manish Verma wrote:

Do share, please.

What's the problem with the link I shared? It is still working.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic