• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Anybody ordered/ordering the Rotimatic? Yup, it's 'The' Rotimatic.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
So a few months back, a friend of mine forwarded me this link.
This product wasn't launched then. Nor is it out now. Just they have started taking the pre orders for it in the USA.

I think if it can really do the chapatis like they show in the video, it's so worth it. So, so worth it. ( well the cooking process is not really complicated, but it's really, really time consuming and you've got to do each step perfectly well or the chapatis won't come out nice ( soft and inflated ) -- if you've tried it, you know what I mean. )

Anyone ordering the Rotimatic or considering to place an order for it?

I really wish that it does the chapatis like they showed in the video.

I hope this is one of those electronic products that will also work in India ( I live in India -- and I have people I'd really want to gift this to if it is what the video says ).

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi Chan,

commercials always tend to be a little 'optimistic' about the products they are about.

Are there in India consumer organizations that do tests on products? Or have you googled
for tests that may have been done in other countries?

And, it goes without saying: if it turns out to be as good as they promise, then of course,
we here at the Meaningless Drivel, wil lbe eager to taste your chapatis!

Greetz,
Piet

Chan Ag
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I guess I should wait for the first set of reviews.

There are quite a few organizations here that test consumer products. But I don't know much about them. I don't know which ones are autonomous and incorruptible ( if there are any that is ). Also the product was first open for pre-orders in Singapore. Since these orders are going to be shipped only in 2015, there are no real reviews as of now.

If the reviews are going to be good, I'm buying it ( and I'll upload the pictures of chapatis here, Piet :p ). I really, really wish that it is so good that I will be able to make all kinds of rolls, and wraps with that thing. Hmm. That will be a solace. No more eating of substitutes because it's time consuming to cook chapatis!

As a side note, I'm not sure if it is going to be a healthy thing cause I don't know if it's not going to change the molecular structure of food items. I should probably read more about whether it uses microwave technology for cooking food. I will do that later. An year ago I decided that I was not going to use the microwave even for warming food, let alone for cooking food. It didn't work until one day I finally gave it away. My husband was quite used to warming food in the microwave. Now we don't/can't do that. Our immune system is still kind of fragile, but it would have been worst had we continued to use microwave for everything like before.

Enthuware Software Support
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Chan Ag wrote:
I think if it can really do the chapatis like they show in the video, it's so worth it. So, so worth it. ( well the cooking process is not really complicated, but it's really, really time consuming and you've got to do each step perfectly well or the chapatis won't come out nice ( soft and inflated ) -- if you've tried it, you know what I mean. )

I had a big mental block against making chapatis myself. I always felt that they are so difficult and cumbersome to make. A few months ago, I finally decided to overcome the block and make them. I couldn't make them round (or even oval) and couldn't make them balloon up like my wife does, initially. But after about 3-4 tries I was able to make decent ones.
Now, I am of the opinion that they are too easy to make. The device is too expensive for such a simple thing.

Chan Ag
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Paul Anilprem wrote:
But after about 3-4 tries I was able to make decent ones.
Now, I am of the opinion that they are too easy to make. The device is too expensive for such a simple thing.

A lot of my friends and relatives who eat chapatis almost regularly have the same view. So they are probably not going to buy the rotimatic.
You're right. It's easy.. yeah... Just you can't skip a step... or not do it well... ok, fine. Yeah, it's just in the mind. Let's just say that it just seems like a big thing to me... :-) I mean all the steps and the clean up...

I feel it's too many things to do for a few chapatis you are cooking. Then you've got to clean up also... I can cook most other regular things in half of that time... And I don't have to be there all the time... I can be doing multiple things... But with the chapatis, it's just the chapatis ( yeah, I'm the one inefficient here. My mom can do the chapatis while cooking other things ) ... so I don't particularly enjoy cooking the chapatis. My husband is a great cook and he enjoys cooking but unfortunately he too hates to cook the chapatis.

So I am really hoping that the Rotimatic is going to be good.. very good. I hope that they are listening... :-)

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

First, obviously, I am not Indian (as you can guess from my surname), so my opinion of what is good or not, is very limited to the few times that I had these items in restaurants.

Anyway, recently, I found frozen "Parathas" in my local Asian supermarket. These look to be very thin, rolled out, raw dough, that has been flavored. After following the instructions of just heating them up in frying pan (without any oil), they got hot, and puffy, and looked like the flatbread that I can get in Indian restaurants.

It was very easy. It was very quick. And it didn't take special equipment.

My questions are ...

* What is the difference between a Chapatis and a Parathas, as it looks like we are discussing the same thing.

* And second, did I violate some cooking rule, such as making instant rice? and not smart enough, or have a good enough palette to know it? ...

Henry

Paul Anilprem
Enthuware Software Support
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Henry Wong wrote:
* What is the difference between a Chapatis and a Parathas, as it looks like we are discussing the same thing.

Chapati is the most basic (and healthiest) version. It contains no oil, no layers, does not stay crispy. It is best enjoyed immediately after made. A good chapati balloons up like a football when it is done.
Paratha is a lavish version. Dough is folded up multiple times while rolling and between each fold there is a layer of oil. It is thicker than than a chapati and it doesn't balloon up while cooking. One can either mix finely chopped vegetables (eg spinach paratha) with the dough or they can spread a layer of cheese within a fold (eg Paneer paratha).

Both are made with unleavened dough (Unlike Naan, which is made with leavened dough).

* And second, did I violate some cooking rule, such as making instant rice? and not smart enough, or have a good enough palette to know it? ...

No, I don't think there is any rule. If you liked what you cooked and if it didn't upset your stomach, you cooked alright

Henry Wong
author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Paul Anilprem wrote:
Chapati is the most basic (and healthiest) version. It contains no oil, no layers, does not stay crispy. It is best enjoyed immediately after made. A good chapati balloons up like a football when it is done.
Paratha is a lavish version. Dough is folded up multiple times while rolling and between each fold there is a layer of oil. It is thicker than than a chapati and it doesn't balloon up while cooking. One can either mix finely chopped vegetables (eg spinach paratha) with the dough or they can spread a layer of cheese within a fold (eg Paneer paratha).

Thanks Paul !!

Interestingly, the Paratha does seem to balloon up, but not very far. I would say about a 1/3, before I pop it. It is very difficult to cook, and get crispy when it's not flat, so I pop it...

Also, like you said, it doesn't stay crispy... but of course, your description is for a chapati, so perhaps, maybe I found a less lavish version of Paratha. There definitely no spinach or cheese -- but lot of herbs though.

Thanks again.
Henry

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic