• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

J2EE1.6 specification requirement for scalability

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Hi All,
I would like to know whether container is obligated to provide transparent scaling mechanism to handle spikes in demand for EJBS by the specification?

As per my understanding and work experience it is not a specification imposed mandatory service to be provided by containers?

Please clarify this in EJB perspective

Thanks,
Isuru

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I assume that by "J2EE 1.6" you mean "JEE 6", the most-recent-but-one version of the JEE standard (it hasn't been called J2EE since 2006).

The container can do very little to handle scalability, besides handling incoming requests as fast as possible. Some configurations play a role in this (max. JVM memory, size of thread pool for incoming connections, size of DB connection pool if applicable etc.), but those will vary according to the specifics of your app - you'd need to test and decide what good values are. While some containers provide load balancing features, that is outside the scope of JEE.

Isuru Samaraweera
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Ulf,
Thanks for the reply.Simply this means there is no contractual obligation specified in the JEE6 specification in scalability standpoint.

Am I correct?

Thanks,
isuru

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
JEE describes functionalities a JEE server must provide. Non-functional and pragmatic aspects are where the server vendors can differentiate themselves.

Isuru Samaraweera
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Ulf,
Thanks for the reply.

So I can easily disregard the statement "The container provides a transparent scaling mechanism to handle dynamic work load as a contract between the container and the ejb it hosts".

Thanks,
isuru

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't know the context of that statement, and in which circumstances you might want to consider or to ignore it. A server handles requests until it hits its limits, but it can't do anything to go beyond those. If the code it runs is designed poorly, it will be able to handle far fewer request than it might with well-designed code, but that, too, is something it can't do anything about.

Isuru Samaraweera
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Ulf,
Thanks for the reply.I got the solution for my doubt.
"Simply scalability is not defined as a contract between server and components it hosts"

Further digging into nonfunctional-requirements is it fair to say that " EJB can extend its services, such as security, to improve performance?

Thanks,
Isuru

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
EJB is a defined standard, it better not be extended by server vendors that want to get certified. JEE servers can provide additional features outside of the APIs, though, like administrative capabilities etc.

Isuru Samaraweera
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Ulf,
Thanks for all fruitful clarifications.Can you please have a look at this post also and give your inputs?

https://coderanch.com/t/636202/java-Architect-SCEA/certification/EJB-Container-contract-related-Exception

Regards,
Isuru

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic