• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java FX and the future of GUI interfaces.

Bartender
IBM DB2 Netbeans IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

first of all, an heartly welcome to Hendrick Ebbers..

Times ago, we had a interesting thread about Java Fx and its chances to become the future of java based GUI in this thread..
Of course there were different opinions about, as one could expect. I think that the main argument against Java fx may be summarized in the fact that Java FX is not a web-related technology, and
despite the fact that nobody has a crystal ball to foresee the future, it's a reasonable point of view to think that most applications will be provided with web-based interfaces, and desktop applications
will slowly fade away.
And as Hendrick stated in a previous post, Java Fx isn't a web based technology - you cannot run a Java Fx program without jre installed.
Maybe JavaFx will get its place in the sun on Android and iOS devices, but meanwhile there are viable alternatives (like Apache Cordova), and Oracle doesn't seem to be going to develop an "official"
porting of Java Fx on mobile runtimes, which IMHO would bring more interest in this technology with respect to an "independend" / third part port.

I'm afraid that the hope of finally having a technology to develop in the Java language applications for both desktop and mobile devices will be frustated.

I'd really like to hear author's opinion about.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That sounds a bit like what is being discussed in https://coderanch.com/t/636267.

Claude Moore
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That's true, Ulf, nevertheless I'd like to extend the debate about future of Java desktop applications... of which Java FX seems to be the official Oracle's fundation.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Claude,
maybe my answers in this thread helps you: https://coderanch.com/t/636267/JavaFX/java/JavaFx

Please ask me if you have additional questions.

Claude Moore
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I think that your point of view is clearly stated in the topic you linked in your answer.... thanks a lot !!!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent - Eleanor Roosevelt. tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic