• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Self employment

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi everyone, I want to know if it is possible to work independently being a fresher?
I want to learn application development by myself.
A person ll become software developer or programmer by working in an IT company.
Is it possible to become software programmer by self learning at home? I am fresher and i want to do freelancing jobs.

Thanks all in advance

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, but it is a lot of work and it is really hard. You have to teach yourself everything. It's not just programming. You need to learn how to sell your skills, how to do design, how to work on a project independently. And the pay is likely to be low at first because you have no reputation and are competing with others who do.

What background do you have thus far? Maybe learning how to develop apps or something specialized is a way to start?

Rancher
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My gut feeling is to advise against that. For starters, without a track record you'll have difficulties finding clients. And you'll learn (and as a beginner you have a lot to learn that is not covered in one book or five) a lot more if you interact regularly with other developers, read their code and discuss it with them; also other related topics like production operations. Not to mention what you learn about business aspects and how companies tend to work - things that were likely not covered in your education, and which are important to understand even for freelancers.

Alexander Bhaskar John
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Jeanne and Ulf, thanks for responding.
I did my graduation in computer science i.e., BCA(bachelor in computer application)
I need to start everything from scratch, not specialized in anything

Thanks a ton for sharing your opinions.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic