• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Primefaces selectOneMenu not populated with data from database (using JPA)

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello everyone, I just registered on this website, but feels like I have been a part of it for years (having referred to it and the numerous forums, among other interesting features and services, many many times). The wealth of experience of members of this website is mind-blowing!

Having said that, I have to confess I am struggling with a web app I am developing for the company I work for. Before I start, forgive me for any terms I use incorrectly - I am just learning this whole JPA/JTA/Hibernate persistence process. This web app is being developed using Eclipse Kepler SR1, JBoss EAP 6.2, JPA 2.1, Hibernate 3.5 (JTA) and Primefaces 3.5, with an Oracle database back-end.

The problem I am running into is with a selectOneMenu dropdown that is not getting populated with a list of countries from the database. When I load the web page the dropdown box is empty. Clicking on the dropdown arrow does nothing - no errors on the console, no activity (at least that I can see).

I am able to ping the database in the Database Development tool. Also, if I happen to misspell or enter an invalid column name next to a @Column annotation I get an error message indicating that no such column exists in the table. This leads me to believe there is a successful link with the database. However, I am sure there are multiple issues with either improper use of JPA, or with the whole persistence process in my code.

Here is my setup (please note that some information has been left out, for security reasons - if this poses a problem with getting help I will understand):

Persistence.xml:

Standalone.xml:

Backing Bean:

DAO class:

ManagedBean:

JSF (Please note that this is only the code for the dropdown box. Also, the ajax action is commented out for now - it isn't part of the problem, but is still "under construction" to be completed once this problem is resolved.):

Thank you for your time, and for being brave enough to review my code!!

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Welcome to the JavaRanch, Randy!

As a rule, any code samples that won't fit on the screen all at once have a much lower chance of getting good answers. Since no one here gets paid, we don't have much incentive to strain our eyes or kill trees printing it out. So it's a good idea to start with abstract questions and provide specifics on demand. Might seem a bit slower, but more people will be paying attention and we don't get lost in the trees and fail to see the forest.

I did do a quick scan, and superficially stuff looks good, but that's all I can say on first glance.

If you're not getting the data from JPA, I'd recommend ignoring the JSF aspects of the app and concentrating on getting JPA working. JSF doesn't have any actual dependencies on JPA, so if it works without JSF, it will work with JSF.

What I do, in fact, is layer my JPA webapps. The persistence service and DAO classes I test offline using DBUnit (which is good for finding botched SQL/JPQL and other things that can only be validated at runtime).

Speaking of visual hardship, something seems wrong with the page editor this morning. The preceeding text should be multiple paragraphs, but preview shows it all lumped together. I may need to talk to someone about that.

Randy Maddocks
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Tim,

Many thanks for your reply, and point well taken on code samples not fitting, I will definitely keep that in mind for future.

Layering JPA webapps makes sense, especially in my situation where I am trying to isolate the cause between the code and the database...I will also give DBUnit a try, and thanks for mentioning that.

Cheers.

expectation is the root of all heartache - shakespeare. tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic