• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Getting back to Java

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

How are all you guys?
Had another username but I lost the email so I made a new one.
The purpose of this topic is that I need an advice, I stopped coding in Java some years ago, and I used to code using Java Beans when it was not property of Oracle and JBoss when it was not property of Red Hat, so I am pretty sure the last year I coded a JEE app was 2008 or 2009.

I want, because I really love Java, and I need, to code JEE apps again. But, where do I start? I want to use fresh technology but I also want to reduce the learning curve, I have really no time to learn a 1000 pages book.

What do you recommend in my case?

Many many thanks for all your comments and advice.

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

andres gorze wrote:
I want, because I really love Java, and I need, to code JEE apps again. But, where do I start? I want to use fresh technology but I also want to reduce the learning curve, I have really no time to learn a 1000 pages book.

To be honest, if you are knowledgeable in Java, and are just looking to refresh it -- then any 1000 page book should be quick. You should be more skimming it, than actually reading it. If, on the other hand, you are really really rusty, and you need to actually read it, then shouldn't you be doing that anyway?

In other words, if it is taking too much time, you probably actually need the time.

Henry

Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Henry Wong wrote:...any 1000 page book should be quick...

??? Clearly your reading (or even 'skimming') abilities are far superior to mine.

@andres: One thing that might be worth considering as an exercise is to try a project (or part of one) that you successfully tackled when the world of JEE was young; and see how much difference there is between then and now. And if you have a friend who is up-to-date on these things, run the code by him/her for comments.

And if you still have any books from those days - especially one you liked - do a search to see if it's been updated since then.

HIH

Winston

PS: Welcome to javaRanch, andres.

andres gorze
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi, It's been a while I wrote this thread, have to say that I developed an app in JavaFX + JPA, and it went well.
Now, I want to port this app to a full web application app, having so many technologies available, can you recommend me what to use? As I want to reuse existing code, I want to be sure I can use JPA in this project.

I will really appreciate your help.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic