• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Cloudera Manager will not connect or start

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm using cloudera's CDH 5 VM on VMWare. After starting, I double clicked the "Launch Cloudera Manager" icon on my desktop, a terminal appears that says:

NOTE: Cloudera Manager is already launched. If you cannot connect, it may still
be starting. Please wait a few minutes.

NOTE: This script has already been run previously. This should not be necessary.

You can override these checks by passing in the --force option,
e.g:

sudo /home/cloudera/cloudera-manager --force
Press [Enter] to exit...

So I open firefox and click the cloudera manager bookmark that came with the VM, the link goes to: file:///home/cloudera/Documents/cloudera-manager.html

Attempting to connect to Cloudera Manager...

Cloudera Manager is installed for optional use in the QuickStart VM, but is not started by default.

To use Cloudera Manager, it is recommended that you add additional virtual hardware and restart the VM:

8+ GB of RAM
2+ virtual CPUs

Then, click the "Launch Cloudera Manager" icon on the desktop, or run the following in the terminal:

sudo ~/cloudera-manager

It may take several minutes after launching Cloudera Manager or rebooting for Cloudera Manager to accept connections.

Most of your data should be preserved, but be aware that some may have been missed and that any configuration changes you made before will need to be made again through Cloudera Manager.

No matter how many times I reboot or refresh firefox, I get the same result.

I also tried following their suggestion, "sudo /home/cloudera/cloudera-manager --force". It gets to a line that says "Starting CM Management services..." and then just hangs.

Would somebody please tell me what is wrong?

Michael Knapp
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think I just figured out why, it appears that my hadoop daemons are unable to start. I have no idea why not, I tried "sudo service hadoop-hdfs-namenode start" and it goes through all of the motions, and then just fails with practically no indication of why. The last line printed to my console says: STARTUP_MSG: java = 1.7.0_67, so I wonder if the daemons are not able to run on java 7 or something like that. I don't remember changing that so I think java 7 is what came with the vm.

Michael Knapp
Greenhorn
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I figured out that something went wrong with my vm's networking, I could not even go to google from my vm. I disabled/re-enabled networking and was able to access the internet again. Then I re-booted and everything works. I have no idea why it just stopped working like that.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic