• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Need help and advice to start my career in Java

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Friends,

I am a new guy to Coderanch as well as Java, I need a help and advice from you all. I don't know whether it is the correct place or not to ask this query.

Actually, I don't have any knowledge in Java but i want to learn Java to get a job. I don't have any idea to take Certification exams, so friends can you please tell me the correct path which one i want to choose for my career and If anyone have the study plan, that means what are the areas i want to learn to get job, please share it with me.

Thanks in Advance. (sorry for my english)

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Anand,
I think this got missed because it was in the wrong forum. I've moved it to Jobs Discussion for you.

For certification, the entry level certification is the OCAJP. There are both Java 7 and 8 versions. After that, is the OCPJP exam. The Java 7 one is already out. The Java 8 one comes out later in the year.

As far as what knowledge you need to get a job, do you know anything about programming now? Any other languages?

Anand Vow
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Jeanne, thanks for replying to my thread.

I have a little bit knowledge in Java Basics. I want to start Java as a fresher.

Can you please describe the basic syllabus to start my preparation and also please tell me where can i get the study notes?

Thanks
Anand

Ranch Hand
Mac PPC Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I would recommend that you start with the K&B book which would help you understand the basics and at the same time get you ready for the exam!

K&B Java 7 Book

Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Anand Vow wrote:I have a little bit knowledge in Java Basics. I want to start Java as a fresher.

Before looking at the cert, I recommend learning Java better. "Head First Java" or "Thinking in Java" are two of my favorite beginner books.

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Anand Vow wrote:Actually, I don't have any knowledge in Java but i want to learn Java to get a job.

So this kind of statement is always a red flag to me. If you don't know anything about java, how do you know you want to do it as a career?

Programming is hard work. It takes YEARS of study and practice to be a good developer. It's no different than medicine, or accounting, or painting. It is also incredibly rewarding...but if you know nothing about it, I question why you would think you want to do it for the rest of your life...

Anand Vow
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you so much Jeanne Boyarsky & thanks Joe Harry.

Anand Vow
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

fred rosenberger wrote:

Anand Vow wrote:Actually, I don't have any knowledge in Java but i want to learn Java to get a job.

So this kind of statement is always a red flag to me. If you don't know anything about java, how do you know you want to do it as a career?

Programming is hard work. It takes YEARS of study and practice to be a good developer. It's no different than medicine, or accounting, or painting. It is also incredibly rewarding...but if you know nothing about it, I question why you would think you want to do it for the rest of your life...

Hi fred, your question is really meaningful, but what i feel is, i have lot of interest in Java, that's why i decided to start my career in Java. Thanks for the reply fred Rosenberger.

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Start with 6 to 12 months of core Java and web basics with a good book as already suggested.

Here are some steps to start ponder about

http://www.java-success.com/get-entry-level-java-job/

Anand Vow
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks arulk pillai for your reply and thanks for the link you shared.

As per Jeanne 's advice i am planning to start my preparation with "Head First Java".

I am eagerly waiting to get more knowledge from you all friends. Let me come with my doubts and thanks you so much all of you to spent time to reply in my thread.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic