• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How to focus in learning technologies?

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
This is my first post in this section of forum.

Nowadays, we find/hear some new technology every other week/month.
For example, sometime back I heard about Functional Programming and APIs in Java 8 for FP.
I see, it is quite essential to learn this. After some time I heard about reactive programming which is quite related to FP.
At the same time, we have Big Data frameworks, Cloud computing concepts, ... to learn.

All technologies seem to be interrelated and important in one or the other way.

How to focus on learning? So that after a period of time I can effectively master a topic.

Also, how to gauge my learning? So that I can measure my learning, how much I have learnt and how much to learn in an area?

Your experiences will be valuable in this journey of learning.

Thanks.

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I learned long ago that you cannot learn everything, and you certainly can't learn everything at once. What I generally try to do when I hear of something new that seems important is to find out enough about it to understand what it used for. That way, if a need for it comes up later I can target it for deeper learning. But I reserve really diving into something until it's something that has already been proven to be very important in the industry and will either help in my current job, or help get the next job.

Bartender
Scala Python Oracle Postgres Database Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you want to try some new things out, you can look out for common elements that seem to relate to several different areas. For example, you mentioned functional programming, which relates to lots of other topics - Java 8, reactive programming (to some extent) and some Big Data technologies like Apache Spark. So if you're curious about these topics, maybe look for some tutorials, books or short online courses that might give you an introduction to FP, for example, then decide if you want to take things further by looking at specific tools or technologies.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic