• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

math test for marriage

Ranch Hand
Python C++ Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/offbeat/indian-bride-walks-out-of-wedding-when-groom-fails-math-test/ar-AA9IbjT?ocid=ansnewsap11

I like one of the comments that says maybe he saw the bride and was smarter than everyone thought...

Ranch Hand
jQuery Google App Engine Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I can't understand why the bride didn't ask the math question before the wedding ? Considering she walked out marriage and none were able to persuade her to marry the groom, She had full right to ask the groom the questions of her desires before the ceremony.

Arranged marriages must be planned effectively so that one can avoid such laughable incidents. In a proper arranged marriage, groom and bride are given a chance to get to know each other adequately. In such dates, they can question one another about their hobbies, dislikes, education and past love affairs(if any).

Bartender
Android Python PHP C++ Java Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Bobby Sharma wrote:I can't understand why the bride didn't ask the math question before the wedding ? Considering she walked out marriage and none were able to persuade her to marry the groom, She had full right to ask the groom the questions of her desires before the ceremony.

That's just the urban, middle class version. Things are not so open in rural areas or even among the urban poor and uneducated. What she's done is nothing short of rebellion in their eyes. I'm amazed her father has made supportive comments; often, their own families ostracize them to keep their perceived "honour" intact in village hierarchy.

Sheriff
Netbeans IDE Oracle Firefox Browser
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Bobby Sharma wrote:Arranged marriages must be planned effectively so that one can avoid such laughable incidents. In a proper arranged marriage, groom and bride are given a chance to get to know each other adequately. In such dates, they can question one another about their hobbies, dislikes, education and past love affairs(if any).

I must admit that I know precisely nothing about marriage in India, but isn't the basic principle of arranged marriage that the bride and groom don't get more or less any say in the entire process?

Bartender
Netbeans IDE Opera Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Martin Vajsar wrote:... isn't the basic principle of arranged marriage that the bride and groom don't get more or less any say in the entire process?

Like Bobby and Karthik said, that's a tradition that has got considerably modernized in the urban, educated segment of the population.

A friend's son was married about a year ago. The father is an electrical engineer who drifted into computers, and, now retired, is running a small but successful company for custom solutions involving dedicated hardware for monitoring and control of industrial equipment like high-temperature-accuracy ovens, process flow control and the like. The boy and his elder brother, who went through a less traditional** marriage a few years earlier, are both computer engineers.

The bride, who was within months of completing a Ph.D., was selected via an online marriage agency; after phone calls were exchanged, the boy traveled alone to another city to meet the girl and her parents. To the best of my knowledge they were not alone together at any time, but were able to interact in the presence of elders.

At the other end of the spectrum, a colleague of my generation got a telegram (this was way before SMS and email) that said Mother serious come soon. He came back a couple of weeks later, married to the girl of his parents' choice.

** They decided they would like to be married, and approached the two sets of parents to do the needful

Darryl Burke
Bartender
Netbeans IDE Opera Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Guillermo Ishi wrote:I like one of the comments that says maybe he saw the bride and was smarter than everyone thought...

I like the thought that the matchmaker tweaked the CV to match the requirements... just like many recruiters are known to do

Guillermo Ishi
Ranch Hand
Python C++ Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Darryl Burke wrote:

Guillermo Ishi wrote:I like one of the comments that says maybe he saw the bride and was smarter than everyone thought...

I like the thought that the matchmaker tweaked the CV to match the requirements... just like many recruiters are known to do

There was funnier comment that wasn't so clean but this is a conservative site. The husband could have tweaked his wrong answer.

Bartender
Firefox Browser Fedora Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have known incidents of guys faking education maybe to get a better girl. One of my acquaintances faked his degree, got married and had kids. When he switched his job, the new company fired him within a month.
His background check revealed his fake degree.
That is when the wife came to know (she had a masters degree by the way). They were married for over 10 years by then.

Karthik Shiraly
Bartender
Android Python PHP C++ Java Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Amit Ghorpade wrote:I have known incidents of guys faking education maybe to get a better girl. One of my acquaintances faked his degree, got married and had kids. When he switched his job, the new company fired him within a month.
His background check revealed his fake degree.
That is when the wife came to know (she had a masters degree by the way). They were married for over 10 years by then.

My slogan for a new side business
"Do not end up a bachelor. Get a Bachelor right now, and live the good life with a Master wife! Minimum 10 year guarantee! (Terms and conditions apply)"

Bobby Sharma
Ranch Hand
jQuery Google App Engine Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Martin Vajsar wrote:
I must admit that I know precisely nothing about marriage in India, but isn't the basic principle of arranged marriage that the bride and groom don't get more or less any say in the entire process?

No nothing like that, traditionally they get many chances to talk to each other frankly. They can interview once another, go for a date, ask wedding related questions etc. Whether it's urban or rural area, if the family is open-minded, they allow their bride and groom to get acquainted with each other before marriage. Modernized arranged marriages are somewhat like a business transaction :P please visit some Indian matrimony sites at your free time , you will get to know what I meant.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic