• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

And another Badass question

Greenhorn
Firefox Browser
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi!
I'd like to know how much is this book marked by current technological achievements and trends. Does it depend on them at all? In other words, could the book have been made in XX century?

Cowgirl and Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hmmm. Parts of it are based on research going back more than 60 years. But it wasn't as *necessary* prior to the kind of lifestyle we're all in now. When people had a longer period of time to learn new skills, and less distractions taking away brain cycles, the way we acquire skills didn't have to be all that efficient and effective. Now, we're all pretty overwhelmed most of the time AND the things we need to learn are changing constantly (especially if you work *in* tech). Us, our employees, our users are all dealing with a lifestyle that makes learning new things especially painful no matter how motivated we are. There are just too many factors working against us. So I could say this book *could* have been written many years ago (with different references to technology of course). But it is only recently that I think we all have become more desperate in our need to reduce cognitive resource waste and to acquire skills more quickly and with less stress.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic