• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Job Switch, what's the procedure?

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Everyone,

Currently I'm working as a developer that uses products from Oracle. So basically I'm not developing anything instead I'm just using what's been developed. The framework is based on Java.
I'm not really happy with my job. I don't like spending tons of time using what other people has done. I'm not growing as a programmer.
I've been learning java for like 2 years and I really like when I code. I want to learn more programming languages.
Also, I want to switch my job to a product based company like that make stuffs.

Can someone please guide me how should I proceed on. Will I get a job based on coding for just 2 years. Please help me out.

Also what should I learn after Java to expand my skill set?

Thanks.

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You should go through the usual procedure for applying for jobs. I presume you don't have some sort of bond which you would break. I would have thought there would be many jobs suitable for somebody with two years' experience, but am not sure.

It is also worth talking to your boss and explaining what you are not happy about; maybe something will change at your current employers'.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The good thing about having a job is it is not urgent to get a new one. This means you can try to apply directly to companies you are interested in.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Jeanne Boyarsky says

The good thing about having a job is it is urgent to get a new one. This means you can try to apply directly to companies you are interested in.

Is that not an option always available to any resource? I am trying to understand from your response that why it is particularly in this situation only.

Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Satyaprakash Joshii wrote:Is that not an option always available to any resource? I am trying to understand from your response that why it is particularly in this situation only.

I left out the word "not". I meant that applying directly takes longer because you have to wait for the company to have a position open. When one doesn't a job, it is more pressing to get one.

Aki Mohan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Campbell Ritchie wrote:You should go through the usual procedure for applying for jobs. I presume you don't have some sort of bond which you would break. I would have thought there would be many jobs suitable for somebody with two years' experience, but am not sure.

It is also worth talking to your boss and explaining what you are not happy about; maybe something will change at your current employers'.

Thanks for the advice:) but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be concerned or help me out.
I think I would rather try by myself and switch jobs. I hope things go well.

Will update :)

Aki Mohan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:The good thing about having a job is it is not urgent to get a new one. This means you can try to apply directly to companies you are interested in.

Yup, once I get a good opportunity I will switch jobs.

Aki Mohan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In the meanwhile, I'm planning to expand my skill set and learn Javascript. Really fascinated with the things that JS stuffs do in the front end

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Aki Mohan wrote: . . . Thanks for the advice:) but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be concerned or help me out. . . .

That is a very pessimistic view of people you work with.

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Aki Mohan wrote:In the meanwhile, I'm planning to expand my skill set and learn Javascript. Really fascinated with the things that JS stuffs do in the front end

Now a days there tend to be division of work in enterprise projects as

1) Front end developer: Focus on UI
2) Back end developer: Focus in developing Web Services, integrating back end systems via messaging, etc

So, keep that in mind as to -- you want to be more of a UI developer or Back end developer. Some organizations expect you to do both.

JavaScript and AngularJS are great skills to have. See what you enjoy more.

Aki Mohan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
@Arulk, thanks for the information. I would like to work more on the front end side. So far liking it

Aki Mohan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Campbell Ritchie wrote:

Aki Mohan wrote: . . . Thanks for the advice:) but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be concerned or help me out. . . .

That is a very pessimistic view of people you work with.

Thanks for your suggestion Mr.Ritchie, I talked to my boss and he was happy to help me.
I'm currently designated work with the UI team and so far I'm liking it. It's taking a lot of time as I'm new to the UI work but I'm learning :)

I had planned on learning JS in 2 weeks but that wasn't doable and with this challenging work I'm getting up there but strong.
Good that I talked to my boss :)

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well done going and asking for the change

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic