• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Customer Requirements: non aware customers

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
What to do when a customer wants a thing that You will know will obstruct the application or is it not important and would take a lot of extra work that would not be payed?
I am asking that because I treat all my customers as kings and queens and I do not have a regular job (have a lot of time) ...
E.G.:
For one website they wanted counter down and I found one and needed 4h to create new suffixes and translate them to slovene and in the end they stopped communicating with me as they didn't "like" half done website and disappeared into nothingness?
Thanks, Gregor from lilaum.com

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Grega,
not sure I entirely got your question with the "counter doen".

If a customer wants a new feature, which will take days or even hours to implement, you did not talk about that feature before at all and they wouldn't pay it - well, then there is nothing kingsy and queeny about them ;)

Especially if they appear into nothingness. Was it an elance/online project? How did the whole "hey lets begin that project together" - process work? Ton of open questions

Grega Leskovšek
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
With the counter down I created a counter down to a certain date in a future not with numbers but with words and some words in slovenian adjectives when written as so e.g.: 5 minut, 4 minute, 3 minute, 2 minuti, 1 minuta needed a lot of work from my side as a request from a customer. I have my hourly wage, but I do many things for free, but I am irritated when a customer does not want to pay me for a finished site with excuse that he doesn't have traffic or cancel the building of a site in the middle of the process(and as in this case before cancelation every hour sends me an update what to do with the website) or wants me to do smth that I know that it will not work on a long run and doesn't want to listen to my opinion or wants one feature from one site, the other from the other and the third and fourth from the x-site - what totaly makes me upset at the end as for them not to have a vision and doesn't have time to meet me personally although we are friends and see each other in church regularly.
I have another case when a customer wanted a huge update for free and then cancelled her account.

All projects I did so far where for friends or friends of friends arraging to pay me on hand. If somebody recommends me or I offer them a website it usually starts with a friendly talk.
In that case that You were asking we were together in mental hospital and she was a leader of political party and needed fast a website, promising to pay me a lot later. She was updating every day 5 - 10 times with having nothing to start from and after few weeks she stopped communicating with me, saying she doesn't like the website. Then I said that I can correct anything and then she disappeared, commiting a suicide and her parents did not want to connect me to people for whom I would finish the website:
http://melitnjak.si/si/index.php

I am mentally and emotionally unstable person on psychiatric medicine for +20 years (I am 37 years old), but inspite of that I finished two high schools and graduated from computer science degree. But many feel that I am week in communication and can not sign a contract(I will get retired this year and I am on social transfers where every € that I got in bank account they minus from my social transfers.

I want to make a contribution to the world, but if smbd lies to me and insults me when I want my payment I am upset and at the end I am a victim without money to pay for my truehope.com medicine.

I hope I made myself clear, Gregor from Slovenia, Europe

Marco Behler
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Grega,
tough story. I suppose the only advice I can give you: you need different customers.

Hope things get better health-wise for you. Best wishes.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic