• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

help me out in my career for software developer

Ranch Hand
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hello ranchers
I am a fresher in electronics engineering from a normal average college from india . But suddenly I realized that electronics is not a cup of tea for me, so I started studying JAVA. Currently I am preparing form OCJP exam and will give OCA exam in 10 days. Then will give OCP exam in December. And I am confident that I will pass both the exams because I am well prepared.
now the problem comes,
1. what is I am certified, I know it will increase my knowledge and it is happening too. But will it give any benefit in salary also.
2. does big MNC take offcampus freshers and if it do, then what is the process for them ?
3. notice I am from india, how much salary can I get if I am a certified java programmer ?

thank you in advance

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Puspender Tanwar wrote:
1. what is I am certified, I know it will increase my knowledge and it is happening too. But will it give any benefit in salary also.

I think you have to remember that you are entering a competitive field. You are competing against graduates from top schools, against graduates who has all sorts of certifications, and against graduates that didn't just switch fields. I don't think that salary should be your top concern.

Henry

Marshal
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you are interested in working for a big company, start by looking on their websites and see what jobs they have available.

Marshal
Mac OS X VI Editor BSD Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Puspender Tanwar,

A warm welcome to CodeRanch.

Also, you probably should take into consideration, that none of the gained certificates can guarantee you a high paid place or a place itself. Try do not think about them as about the right and the only way to get the job contract.

In most interviews (even small companies) they will likely ask you about the projects you were working on. These guys likes to see, hear, that you're passionate about programming, in which kind of niche you have most experience, and if you have any hands-on experience at all. Experience doesn't mean actual work experience, it could be your own experience when you did your own project, what problems you faced, how you solved them.

Certificate in addition of course could give some weight to your resume in order to be invited to job interview. After that - full stop, again you'll need to prove your knowledge from scratch, and these questions won't be like during the certification exam.

Likely everyone can pass exam after reading the book 10 times or so, but it is not enough. I'd think about the certificate as about the trophy, which should fulfil your own desire, and in addition would give you some understanding about specific corner cases.

What useful could be, just start doing project (some kind of application) right now if you haven't started any yet, so you'd have some topics to discuss about with your future interviewers in case you'll be asked to talk about your experience.

Project ideas, the ones came to my mind at the moment:
1. ATM (automated teller/cash point machine) simulator
2. Live public transport tracker
3. FTP client, so you could do usual stuff

These are just an examples, you could pick up something easier.

In any way - best luck with your certification and job hunting

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic