• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

When is JavaFX the right tool and worth the extra investment?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Herb,

The very beginning of your book presents JavaFX as though ti builds upon AWT and Swing. What I have seen of JavaFX, it is far more complicated than Swing. When is javaFX the right tool to use, given what appears to me to be a very large learning curve past Swing to become any good at it? Thanks.

Duncan

Author
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Ken,

In the beginning of my book I give a brief history of Java's GUIs, so as to put JavaFX into its historical perspective. I believe that it is helpful when learning a new technology that one understands how it relates to what has come before. Thus, I include a history for my readers. This brief history does NOT imply that JavaFX is built on the AWT and/or Swing. Of course, the past always influences the future, and perhaps that is what you were getting at.

As I say in the book, JavaFX is "Java's next-generation GUI framework." Also, as I say in the preface to the book, "prior experience with other Java GUIs is not required." Whether you know Swing or not, you can learn JavaFX.

In your question, you suggest that JavaFX "is far more complicated than Swing." I disagree. Having written extensively about both Swing and JavaFX, I find both to be powerful GUI frameworks. However, in my view, JavaFX is easier to learn and to work with. This should not be surprising because the art and science of programming continue to evolve and advance. As I have said in previous posts, in my view, JavaFX is the future. That is why I wrote a book about it.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic