• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

OCAJ 5/6 Vs OCAJ 7

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,

I am pretty new to this website, so please bear with me until I get used to this.

I am planning to take OCAJ exam. I was initially planning to write OCA Java SE 7 Programmer - 1 exam. I started reading the book by Mala Gupta. In the introduction chapter there is a table which compares OCA Java SE5/6 1Z0-850 and 1Z0-803 (SE7). I felt that SE 5/6 is more extensive than SE7 exam in terms of concept coverage and now I am confused on which exam should I take.

Could some one please advice on this.

Thanks!
SG

Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Sandeep Gogineni,

First of all, a warm welcome to CodeRanch!

Sandeep Gogineni wrote:In the introduction chapter there is a table which compares OCA Java SE5/6 1Z0-850 and 1Z0-803 (SE7). I felt that SE 5/6 is more extensive than SE7 exam in terms of concept coverage and now I am confused on which exam should I take.

You got the wrong impression from that table The Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 5/SE 6 (1Z0-850) certification is a very high-level certification and it's aiming for non-technical functions like managers, business analysts and so on. So it requires a very limited knowledge about the Java language. As you can see from the exam objectives, it's more about the Java eco-system, but it's all about the higher level, you don't need an in-depth knowledge of all the technologies mentioned in these exam objectives.
If you are a Java programmer (or want a job as one), you should definitely opt for the Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 7 Programmer (1Z0-803) certification. This exam really requires a very good and solid understanding of the Java language and OO concepts on an entry-level. The Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 7 Programmer (1Z0-804) certification is the follow up and covers plenty of advanced topics of the Java language (like JDBC, generics, collections, nio 2.0, threads, and so on).
You could of course also opt for the Java 8 certification. It's completely similar to the Java 7 certification. So you'll have to pass two exams as well (1Z0-808 and 1Z0-809), but the exam objectives will be different. Here you'll find a mapping between the exam objectives of the OCA7 and OCA8 exams.

Hope it helps!
Kind regards,
Roel

This one time, at bandcamp, I had relations with a tiny ad.
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic