• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java Interface to replace Excel workbook interface

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I previously created a tool using VBA which was run via an Excel workbook as the user interface. It contained a button to run the macro and a table of jobs with start and end fields and a checkbox field.

I would like to know would be the best java alternative(s) using Java Swing classes or if there is a better alternative any other java classes.

Example table in Excel:

Checkbox Description Start End
TRUE Initialise tool 16-Aug-2012 10:08:50 16-Aug-2012 10:08:50
FALSE Upload Balance File 16-Aug-2012 10:08:50 16-Aug-2012 10:09:05
FALSE Create Statistics 16-Aug-2012 10:09:05 16-Aug-2012 10:10:12

Marshal
Mac OS X VI Editor BSD Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Not sure I fully understand your goal, but yes, for user interface you could use either Swing or JavaFX 8. Information and tutorials about both you could find here (<- link).
To make your task easier (or not), you could use WindowBuilder for Swing, or SceneBuilder for JavaFX where you could model your GUI in an interactive way. WindowBuilder it comes with most IDE's already, if not, you can download plugin for it. For the JavaFX - Netbeans has already integrated SceneBuilder, for the eclipse you'd need to download e(fx)clipse plugin. IntelliJ I think has SceneBuilder integrated already too.
Read also about MVC (Model-View-Controller) architecture (<- link after googled), so you'll get an overview about the idea of it.

Colm Kavangh
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks. This is more general advice (which I also need). What I am really asking is whether there is something like a spreadsheet that the user can edit (like in Excel)?

Liutauras Vilda
Marshal
Mac OS X VI Editor BSD Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There is similar to what you want, check this class https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/javafx/api/javafx/scene/control/TableView.html

Also I found accidentally this open source project, not sure at which stage they are now > http://controlsfx.bitbucket.org/org/controlsfx/control/spreadsheet/SpreadsheetView.html (you can find the picture in it, so to imagine what you can achieve). Maybe it is what you want.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic