• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Jetty, PostgreSql on Windows 1GB

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi, there is a project where I should run Jetty Server along with PostgreSql database to perform some light transactions ( Jaxrs calls / Manipulating three tables with JPA / Some lightweight batches ) The challenge is,
this architecture should live on Windows OS 8 ( Family edition ) with 1GB in RAM, and the machine which is a not designed as a server should stay ON all the time ( I can deal with a reboot once a month at max ).

Do you think this can be done ? If not, Do you have other proposition ?

Thanks in advance

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to the Ranch

A Windows machine (Family edition) running without rebooting? Is that possible at all?

Bartender
Android Python PHP C++ Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There are so many unknowns here that any answer might as well be a coin toss. The hardware, environmental factors like temperature and ventilation, power fluctuations, the application itself, whether the machine is dedicated for this application or runs other things - many things can affect stability. OS is just one of them.

In my opinion, in such vague situations, it's best to collect some performance metrics. Keep that machine running for a day under typical OS and application load in its typical environment, and measure its parameters. Including environmental ones like motherboard and HD temperatures. Any red lines are a possible cause of long term instability, regardless of the OS. If everything is green, then keep it for a week and check!

Badr Draifi
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you so much for your fast answers.

I totally agree with you guys, about all the other factors ( environmental, ventiation..) but lets assume that this all settled up and it is just fine. But in terms of software, and this is in which i am interested, do you think this architecture can survive ( With all the memory that it should take, the process that it runs...) in this configuration ?

Do you ever faced this situation ? based on your experiences, what you think about it ?

PS : The OS will run only my application, all other uncessary services & app will stopped.

Thank you.

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Not familiar with all those apps, but I can see no reason why you can't run that software on a Family version machine.

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think people are getting a little carried away here.

I think Windows has probably stabilized enough by now to run for a month at a time without crashing. Although you do realize that approximately 52,325 Windows Security updates will have probably come out over that timespan, and that Windows almost always demands a reboot to apply them?

1GB of RAM sounds rather cramped. I'm not even sure that Windows 8 is rated for that small a configuration. I also had to suppress a laugh about "all other uncessary services & app will stopped". Thanks to such stealth features as RUNDLL and its friends, there's a lot of services hiding in Windows.

I did just retire a 1GB Linux machine that hosted PostgreSQL and a Tomcat server, although it would have been happier with 2GB. A lot depends on your workload, though.

And, of course, factor in environmental considerations. A UPS is virtually essential even in places where power is supposedly continuous. Computers these days can take a fair amount of heat, but even so, a certain amount of air conditioning is wise. 30°C or lower at least (that's what I run). If your humidity is too low, static electricity can be an issue, if it's too high, condensation can mess things up. And. of course, if you're subject to a lot of sand and grit in the air, some filtering is advised. You're probably well-versed in what things to allow for when running computers in your part of the world, but make allowances for the lack of "recovery time".

Badr Draifi
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Tim. Your answer explain a lot ! liked it.

I guess, based on many answers, that runing this architecter in that configration is possible and it can be done !

If you settle for what they are giving you, you deserve what you get. Fight for this tiny ad!
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic