• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Confused about static and instance methods with same name

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

doubt:

what is happening ?
either the static method is overloaded as non static method
or
compiler treats it as a different method though it has a same name as the static method?

Bartender
Android Google Web Toolkit Mac Eclipse IDE Ubuntu Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What happens when you try out the following:

Rancher
Netbeans IDE Oracle MySQL Database Tomcat Server C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You can overload static methods, you just cannot override them. So try to extend A and override one of the static methods and see what happens.

s sivaraman
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Maneesh Godbole wrote:What happens when you try out the following:

Respective methods are called.

i was right on this.wasn't i?

compiler treats it as a different method though it has a same name as the static method?

Les Morgan
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

s sivaraman wrote:

That overloading is not a problem, but the following seems to be a problem:

None of those are static Classes, but the static method is supposed to resolve back to the Class, not the Instance, but class B does infact do an Override of F1() from A, but if I try to use the Annotation @Override, my NetBeans says there is no method to override, but as displayed in the call from JStaticJunk there is an F1(int) inherited from A, so where did F1() go? In all of it the Class variable works properly.

s sivaraman
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Les Morgan wrote:

s sivaraman wrote:

That overloading is not a problem, but the following seems to be a problem:

None of those are static Classes, but the static method is supposed to resolve back to the Class, not the Instance, but class B does infact do an Override of F1() from A, but if I try to use the Annotation @Override, my NetBeans says there is no method to override, but as displayed in the call from JStaticJunk there is an F1(int) inherited from A, so where did F1() go? In all of it the Class variable works properly.

would it compile? because you cannot access a static method by an instance reference.

Les Morgan
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

s sivaraman wrote:
would it compile? because you cannot access a static method by an instance reference.

Not only does it compile without any error or warnings, here is the output:

run:
This is F1(int) 11
This is F1()11
F1() 11
This is F1(int) 12
This is F1()12
BUILD SUCCESSFUL (total time: 0 seconds)

It's all members of the non static class A and the non static class B, so to get a reference you have to instantiate A or B.

Notice that class variable behaves just like it is supposed to do.

s sivaraman
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

if you'd used this,instead of

i rekcon you'd get the same output

run:
This is F1(int) 11
This is F1()11
F1() 11
This is F1(int) 12
This is F1()12
BUILD SUCCESSFUL (total time: 0 seconds)

Notice that class variable behaves just like it is supposed to do.

Then why using the code syntax that affects the readability?

Les Morgan
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

s sivaraman wrote:
Then why using the code syntax that affects the readability?

Stefon Evan answered why the strangeness in this thread: https://coderanch.com/t/657279/java/java/static-method-strange-behavior

Basically some misconception on my behalf and further clarification.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

s sivaraman wrote:

yes,it will compile,it is not recommended to use instance reference to access static method or static fields(it is not a good practice) but you can surely do it.

Most important point:
Static fields and variables,will pay no attention to the instances,even though after being accessed by instance reference.The only thing to which they pay the attention is the class of reference variable

Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

s sivaraman wrote:what is happening ?
either the static method is overloaded as non static method
or

You have two overloaded static (class) methods F1: one method has no parameters and another has an int parameter. And class A also has an instance method with exactly the same name as the static (class) methods (F1) and a double parameter. So the parameter of the instance method is different from the paramters of the two static (class) methods with exactly the same name. And that's really very important! Because you can not have a static (class) method and an instance method with exactly the same method signature (name and parameter list). This code snippet won't compileThe reason why is pretty obvious: using an instance of a class you can invoke both an instance method and a static (class) method, so with same method signatures it's impossible to know for the compiler if you wanted to invoke the instance method or static (class) one. As in this code snippetTherefore you'll get a compiler error if an instance method and a static (class) method have exactly the same method signature.

Hope it helps!
Kind regards,
Roel

Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

s sivaraman wrote:because you cannot access a static method by an instance reference.

That's absolutely incorrect! Using a reference variable you can definitely invoke a static method. It's not considered to be a good practice (you should use the class name), because it decreases the readibility of your code. But it's allowed, you will not get a compiler error at all! Example:Output: in method1

And even if you would use this main method, you'll get in method1 as output and thus not a NullPointerException

Hope it helps!
Kind regards,
Roel

Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Les Morgan wrote:but class B does infact do an Override of F1() from A, but if I try to use the Annotation @Override, my NetBeans says there is no method to override, but as displayed in the call from JStaticJunk there is an F1(int) inherited from A, so where did F1() go? In all of it the Class variable works properly.

And NetBeans is absolutely correct! Static (class) methods are never overridden. Never! Repeat after me: static (class) methods are never overridden Only instance methods can be overridden (if the instance method is inherited). So that means, a private instance method can never be overridden as well.

But static methods can be "inherited" as well. And if you declare a static method in a subclass with exactly the same method signature as in the parent class, then the static method in the parent class is replaced with the one in the subclass. But (and now it gets really interesting) the same rules as with overriding instance methods apply:
  • the access level cannot be more restrictive
  • the return type should be the same or a subtype of the return type
  • the method can only throw narrower or fewer checked exceptions
  • a final method can't be replaced
  • So the following code snippets do not compile. Do you know why?But this code snippet compiles successfully

Hope it helps!
    Kind regards,
    Roel

PS. Did you intentionally add the line new JStaticJunk(); to the main method? Because it's not required to create a new instance of the JStaticJunk class to run the application.

Roel De Nijs
    Sheriff
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Now let's see what happens if all static occurences (except for the main method) in the JStaticJunk class are removed. What's the output of this code snippet?

Hope it helps!
    Kind regards,
    Roel

PS. If you look carefully, you'll see I changed the first line in the main method as well. If you would make the same change in the JStaticJunk class, you would still get the exact same output as mentioned in one of the previous posts. So for the original code snippet, it makes no difference at all. But for this one, it definitely will

It will give me the powers of the gods. Not bad for a tiny ad:
    a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
    https://gardener-gift.com
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic