• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Should I create a new domain for each web application I develop?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm new to WebLogic. I'm trying to understand Managed Servers and domains and the differences between them and how I should use them.

I am developing with Eclipse and just happened to notice that when I try to start my web application that is currently open, several errors come up in the console because WebLogic server is trying to do something with my other applications in the same domain, but are not open in my current instance of Eclipse.

It made me wonder if I should use a different domain for each web application I develop? My other projects are stored in different workspaces on my computer but WebLogic is picking them up because all of them use the wlserver domain.

In addition, if I create a domain, do I need to create a managed server in that domain? This all has me very confused. I'm a new Java Programmer just getting started.

Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ramdu Johnson wrote:I'm trying to understand Managed Servers and domains and the differences between them and how I should use them.

Have a look at Understanding Weblogic Domains. Usually one develops using a Standalone Server Domain. Most production environments will consist of an Administration server and multiple Managed servers.

Ramdu Johnson wrote:
several errors come up in the console because WebLogic server is trying to do something with my other applications in the same domain, but are not open in my current instance of Eclipse.

You should be able to undeploy applications you are no longer using, either through Eclipse or through the Weblogic Server Console.

Ramdu Johnson wrote:
It made me wonder if I should use a different domain for each web application I develop?

For the most part, I use a single stand-alone domain for my development environment. There's no reason one couldn't create multiple stand-alone domains. For example, we have three major applications that have very different configurations. We have found it easier to keep them as separate domains both in development and production to keep us from making configuration changes that would have unintended side effects on the other apps.

Ramdu Johnson wrote:
In addition, if I create a domain, do I need to create a managed server in that domain?

No. As I said before, you can run a domain server stand-alone.

Ramdu Johnson
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Joe Ess,

Thanks for your response. Sorry for my delay in thanking you.

I am still struggling with getting WebLogic 12.1.3 to work correctly for me.

I did a fresh install this morning. My Oracle Home is c:\orc\mdw\orh. I did a minimal install of WebLogic server and did not do any advanced configurations.

My domain is setup on this path: c:\wls\domains\randy
and contains a single AdminServer. I automatically started my AdminServer at the end of the Configuration wizard and it is now running.

I have two problems:

1. I cannot get to the console with the URI referenced in my installation: http://%MACHINE_NAME%:7001/console
I get an ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED (AdminServer is currently running according to the command prompt).

2. If I go into my domain bin directory (c:\wls\domains\randy\bin) and run stopWebLogic.cmd I get the error:

Error: Could not find or load main class weblogic.WLST

I have not made any changes to any configuration files and I am stumped. Earlier this morning I discovered that I had set a server name environment variable in windows and that caused me to be unable to reach my AdminServer. I removed that and did a reinstall. Now I cannot stop WebLogic from the command line or access the console page in the browser.

Joe Ess
Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ramdu Johnson wrote:
1. I cannot get to the console with the URI referenced in my installation: http://%MACHINE_NAME%:7001/console
I get an ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED (AdminServer is currently running according to the command prompt).

Try looking at the logs in C:\wls\domains\randy\servers\myserver\logs
C:\wls12130\user_projects\domains\mydomain\servers\myserver\logs

You should have at least 3 log files: one for access, one for the domain and one for the server. The server log should have a couple lines that indicate:

If you do not see these lines, you should see errors that indicate why the server could not start. If you do see those lines, you should see a line before them that says:

Make sure the port number above is the same as the one you are trying to load in your browser.

2. If I go into my domain bin directory (c:\wls\domains\randy\bin) and run stopWebLogic.cmd I get the error:
Error: Could not find or load main class weblogic.WLST

Did you move your domain or install Weblogic to a different directory than the previous install? Either of those actions can break the series of events that happen when setting off the shutdown script. Are there any other errors when you run it? I'd expect to see something like "path not found". You can have the command files echo all their commands by commenting out the @ECHO_OFF directive in the first line of stopWebLogic.cmd.

Ramdu Johnson
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, thank you very much for all your help, but I got let go today so it doesn't matter, but I really do appreciate your efforts.

Joe Ess
Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sorry to hear that. Check our Jobs Discussion and our Jobs Offered forums. Hopefully we can help you get a new one!

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic