Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
This page is an FAQ to the Job Discussion forum. Also be sure to check out HowToAskQuestionsOnJavaRanch.

1. What should I do before posting a new question?
Search First. Chances are whatever question you have has been asked before. You can do a search in the forum by clicking the "search" link at the top right of the page. It may make sense to continue the existing thread or to start a new thread (especially if the previous thread is many months old).

2. Common Topics
These topics are commonly brought up and discussed, so you are especially encouraged to search before asking (although this should not be taken as a discouragement to asking):

• Outsourcing/Offshoring
  • H1-B
  • The value of certification
  • Interview questions (for a technology and/or specific company)

• 3. What are valid topics?
    Job Discussion is for any topic related to finding jobs, the job market, career paths, and education. We take a liberal view about what might be related to this, including, but not limited to, politics, culture, history, psychology, etc. However, that does not mean that it is a free-for-all within those topics, rather, they can only be discussed with respect to jobs. If the discussion gets out of line, the topic will be closed.

Note that questions and discussion about specific companies will not be allowed in this forum (or on JavaRanch at all).

The reason for this is because:

• It devalues the forum. Discussion of specific companies are of use to a tiny number of people and so much of the forum becomes irrelevant to most people. As one moderator put it, this is Job Discussion, not Company Discussion.
  • These discussions cause people to violate the "Be Nice" rule far too often.
  • These discussions are likely to expose JavaRanch to legal issues.

• Prohibited Questions

• Can you tell me about Acme company?
  • What are salaries at Acme?
  • What is the culture at Acme?
  • Which is better, Acme or Zena?

• Allowed Questions

• I'm trying to decide between two jobs, I'll describe the companies and job below (but not provide the name of the company); what are your thoughts?
  • What should my salary be given my experience?
  • How is the job market in a particular geographic region?

• 4. When does the discussion get out of bounds?
    Often times discussions like this will place people on different sides of the issue. Unlike many technical questions, there aren't clear right and wrong answers. Making it worse, peoples lives and livelihoods are effected by these issues. The line not to cross is to not make it personal. Specifically, attack the argument (facts, data, reasoning), and not the person (or culture). Always try to use facts, rather than make sweeping statements.

5. Are interview questions ok?
    Posting certification questions is not allowed (for one thing, it violates the confidentiality agreement you sign when you take the test). Interview questions, however (unless specifically prohibited by an NDA you sign) are allowed.

CategoryFaq

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic