• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Using multiple servers

Ranch Hand
Oracle Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
We are in the process of redesigning our application. One of the ideas that has come up is using a separate server for certain time/resource consuming operations, such as running on demand reports. I haven't found anything on the Internet that addresses this. Has anybody out there any experience with this and/or can point me in the right direction where to find guidance on this.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
This kind of stuff is done all the time. I had one system that ran a process which under worst-case conditions (once every week or so) could run for 10 hours.

I implemented it as a stand-alone application running as a Java RMI server. The webapp on the front-end made remote calls to start/stop and monitor it. It didn't need a separate CPU to run on (the whole system, webserver and all usually peaked out at 13% CPU or less), but by isolating it, we were able to do things to the frontend server that would have been "held hostage" if we didn't want to interrupt the backend.

I'm suspecting that you're thinking of spinning up a secondary WebLogic server, but that's only one option and it's a fairly expensive one. You have lots of options. You can use web services to invoke the backed, JMS, MQ, or even RMI. You may find it useful to house the process in a generic container such as Apache Karaf or ServiceMix. Or you could do like I did and run as a stand-alone RMI server (although at the time, I had fewer choices).

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic