• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What Text editor works well with JDK for a beginner on a macbook?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I don't know what to look for or use since i'm using a Macbook, but i want to use a Text editor that works on macbook and uses the java language that is good for a beginner like me. Later on i'm thinking of moving on to netbeans or eclipse so i don't want to use something that can make it harder for me to use one of those IDE later on. Thanks in advance ^-^

Greenhorn
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The one I use is TextWrangler (I'm on Mac as well )
http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/

Another one I have been looking at is new (To me) is Atom. I have not tried it but it comes highly recommended to me from my supervisor:
https://atom.io/

Best of luck on your quest!

Marshal
Mac OS X VI Editor BSD Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

sal jefferson wrote:... TextWrangler ...

sal jefferson is right, TextWrangler is very good.

For your own curiousity you can also try vim or/and emacs (these are console based, and could be more difficult to start with).
Both are already pre-installed on your system. Type in terminal window "man vim" or "man emacs" (man stands for manual) and you'll see their manuals.

There are vim tutorial out there too, you can access it by typing in terminal "vimtutor", or "vim" and later ":help".

But I agree that TextWrangler probably is the best for start.

Bartender
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Oracle Spring VI Editor Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Why not just use vi, it will hurt your head at first, but its worth knowing.
If you are using any Linux / Unix machine then you know that vi will be installed...

Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Peter Rooke wrote:Why not just use vi, it will hurt your head at first, but its worth knowing.

As someone who switches between various server environments every day, I know you are right. However, for a beginner, I think the learning curve of VI combined with trying to learn Java is a bit much.
I usually use JEdit for simple tasks on any platform (written in Java!). I recently embarked on a journey of discovery to find a more "Macish" text editor. I tried Geany (which is probably more Linux-ish), but it didn't light my fire.
There are many others. One of my recent hires adores Sublime Text. It's pretty slick if you like working with the keyboard (like VI). Brackets looks very cool and is backed by Adobe, but it looked a little web page-centric for my purposes.
With this many choices, one should try a few and keep the one(s) they like working with.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic