• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

project idea

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have an idea... it maybe a business idea or an idea of an open source project.

so, the idea is to create series of posters on popular programming technologies. For example, poster #1: java, poster#2: J2EE, poster # 3: Spring, etc.

Each poster will consist of 9 pages with colorful diagrams and tables. So you can hang it on a wall in your office or at home. There might be UML diagrams or some charts diagrams in different colors to make look attractive. You can use it as a reference card or to prepare for an exam or an interview.

There are some reference/cheat sheets cards but they are so boring and unattractive. You cannot find and buy a colorful, professionally done poster on Java or Spring... I did google and checked amazon and dint find anything like this.

What do you think?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I bought a book on Java from Foyles in about 2005, and it came with a massive wall-chart of the Java packages - it was about 1.5m by 1m. I will take a photo of it the next time I go visit my parents.

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
2005? That was probably the last time they did that -- that would have been about Java 5 and the language API has grown with every release since then. Your parents would have to get bigger walls! Although... a Java 8 version of that wall-chart could be an interesting project. Colour-coding could be interesting too, you could really get carried away there.

Walter Andresen
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am thinking, should I post it as a open source project? or maybe publish on kick starter?

Ahmed Bin S
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Paul Clapham wrote:2005? That was probably the last time they did that -- that would have been about Java 5 and the language API has grown with every release since then. Your parents would have to get bigger walls! Although... a Java 8 version of that wall-chart could be an interesting project. Colour-coding could be interesting too, you could really get carried away there.

Ohhhh, so it was quite popular then? I just assumed it was a small promotion. I think it was for Java 4, because that's what I did my SCJP in, so maybe it was in 2004 that I bought the book.

The only thing that annoyed me was that the chart came folded up - I would have preferred it rolled up so that when I put it on the wall, the creases were not there - but I guess I am just being fussy now!

Ahmed Bin S
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Walter Andresen wrote:I am thinking, should I post it as a open source project? or maybe publish on kick starter?

Maybe first create some charts and share them?

Don't MAKE me come back there with this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic