• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

OCPJP8 prerequisite

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I want to make sure that I can take the ocpjp8 certification. I took ocajp7 -can I take ocpjp8 directly? Thanks!

Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Malin Susanne Sundin,

First of all, a warm welcome to CodeRanch!

Malin Susanne Sundin wrote:I want to make sure that I can take the ocpjp8 certification. I took ocajp7 -can I take ocpjp8 directly?

If you took (and passed) OCAJP7, you must take OCPJP7 to be granted the Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 7 Programmer title. You can take the OCPJP8, but if you pass this certification exam, you will not be granted the Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 8 Programmer title because you didn't complete the Prior Certification Requirement (i.e. Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 8 Programmer).

Bottom line: you can not combine different version certifications.

Hope it helps!
Kind regards,
Roel

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Instead of the full exam, you can take the upgrade exam 1Z0-810 if you already hold a Java 7 OCP JP certification.

Jeanne's and I's book covers the full exam (1Z0-808) as well as material for both upgrade exams (1Z0-809 and 1Z0-813).

Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Scott Selikoff wrote:Instead of the full exam, you can take the upgrade exam 1z0-810 if you already hold a Java 7 OCP JP certification.

That's true! But assuming the OP has only passed the OCAJP7 exam, that would require taking two somewhat advanced exams. So it might be much easier to take OCAJP8+OCPJP8 instead. Following this path, the OP will become an Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 8 Programmer too, but it requires one entry-level exam (and he already passed OCAJP7 so that will require not so much effort) and one advanced exam (which will probably require similar effort as preparing for the OCPJP7 exam).

Scott Selikoff
author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Oh, like if you passed OCP7 but not OCA7? Yeah, then you would need to take either... (OCA7 + OCP8_UpgradeFrom7) or (OCA8 + OCP8_Full).

I assumed the individual didn't just pass the single OCP7 exam, but was OCP7 certified (OCA7 + OCP7).

Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Scott Selikoff wrote:I assumed the individual didn't just pass the single OCP7 exam, but was OCP7 certified (OCA7 + OCP7).

That's definitely possible. But based on the initial post, I think the OP only has passed the OCAJP7 exam and wanted to know if he could take the OCPJP8 to become an Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 8 Programmer. But maybe I made a wrong assumption

Malin Susanne Sundin
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you! The first post awnsered by question😊

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic